• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menudo

Tropicalsenior

9 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

My husband's favorite was nopales and scrambled eggs. He loved menudo and I used to make it in great big batches and put it in the freezer. I couldn't stand it so he had to taste it for seasonings.

My first and only bowl of menudo was made by a friend of mine's mamma--I think she moved here from Mexico but don't quote me on that.  It was years and years ago and I still remember it.  Good stuff.

13 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

My husband's favorite was nopales and scrambled eggs. He loved menudo and I used to make it in great big batches and put it in the freezer. I couldn't stand it so he had to taste it for seasonings.

Menudo...the very word gives me the heebie jeebies....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Good stuff.

I guess so if you like it. When we were dating my husband raved about it so much that I ordered some in a restaurant. I sent it back because I thought it was rotten and then he told me it was supposed to taste like that. I could tell you how I made it but I sure couldn't tell you about the seasonings because that was to taste and he was the one that had to taste it. I used to make about four gallons of it at a time so I didn't have to smell it cooking that often.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I guess so if you like it. When we were dating my husband raved about it so much that I ordered some in a restaurant. I sent it back because I thought it was rotten and then he told me it was supposed to taste like that. I could tell you how I made it but I sure couldn't tell you about the seasonings because that was to taste and he was the one that had to taste it. I used to make about four gallons of it at a time so I didn't have to smell it cooking that often.

Maybe what I had wasn't true menudo lol.  It didn't taste rotten.  I just remember it being spicy with a ton of good flavors.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Maybe what I had wasn't true menudo lol.  It didn't taste rotten.  I just remember it being spicy with a ton of good flavors.

What I had the first time was the white Menudo and I've never had any menudo since. It has a ton of good stuff until you get to the tripe and then, uh un, no! Can't get near it except to cook it and that was only because I loved him. Believe me, I had to have really loved him to cook that stuff.

And I might add, it is a two-day cooking experience.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Pre-covid there was a Mexican food stand at the Laney College flea market that served fabulous menudo.  When I complimented them I was redirected to a tiny, ancient woman who told me through a translator that she cooked the tripe three time and threw out the cooking water each time before adding it to the aromatic broth.    No offal aftertaste.   Yes, Virginia, there is super delicious menudo.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

she cooked the tripe three time and threw out the cooking water each time before adding it to the aromatic broth

This really rings a bell.  I am pretty sure my friend told me something similar--I remember thinking it must take days to make this delicious stuff.

10 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

she cooked the tripe three time and threw out the cooking water each time before adding it to the aromatic broth

Believe me! I did that plus soaking it in lemon juice for an hour before cooking it the first time. All that does is knock down the tripe aroma while it is cooking, the Taste is still there.

And that is one of the reasons that it is a two-day cooking project.

• Like 1