• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Oh, how lovely! Thank you for a fun, inspiring and hopeful post.

This food text caught my eye:

Ful I know (in fact, I have a couple of cans in my pantry) but to me lupins are a flower...a lovely but aggressive plant, with wildly dispersing seeds once their pods start to pop. I don't know it as a food source for humans. Are we talking about the same thing? If so, what part of the plant?

Yes, those are seeds of some lupin flower variety, which is a legume. It has to be soaked and boiled to remove its toxicity. The texture is somewhat firm and snappy, a bit like edamame but firmer and a tad starchy. It can be bought in canned form, but I've never seen it sold raw. 

shain

shain

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Oh, how lovely! Thank you for a fun, inspiring and hopeful post.

This food text caught my eye:

Ful I know (in fact, I have a couple of cans in my pantry) but to me lupins are a flower...a lovely but aggressive plant, with wildly dispersing seeds once their pods start to pop. I don't know it as a food source for humans. Are we talking about the same thing? If so, what part of the plant?

Yes, those are seeds of some lupin flower variety, which is a legume. It has to be soaked and boiled to remove its toxicity. The texture is something firm and snappy, a bit like edamame but firmer and a tad starchy. It can be bought in canned form, but I've never seen it sold raw.