• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I confess myself baffled by onion powder. It seems that almost every American recipe uses it (slight exaggeration!) Same with garlic powder. I'm sure it is available in Europe, but have never seen it in the stores or seen anyone use it. If we want onions, we use onions. If we want garlic, we use garlic.

What is the explanation? Don't you have access to real onions and garlic?

983776322_onionpowder.thumb.jpg.68b22dea5921814414252a1f3b0d69d1.jpg

Onion Powder

Thinking about this odd culinary phenonemon, I went looking for onion powder in China. It is available. In 100 cwt sacks for industrial usage. It is also available in more sensibly sized containers for use in the domestic kitchen - but only from expensive import stores. (Even though it was probably produced in China, in the first place.)

The only thing I do come across other than fresh onions (in many  forms) and garlic is this dried wild onion, although I've no idea what people do with it. I have asked friends, but just get blank looks.

2014964154_preserveddriedwildonions.jpg.6d11d9198903cdf2302a24f38bda4372.jpg

Most mysterious.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I confess myself baffled by onion powder. It seems that almost every American recipe uses it (slight exaggeration!) Same with garlic powder. I'm sure it is available in Europe, but have never seen it in the stores or seen anyone use it. If we want onions, we use onions. If we want garlic, we use garlic.

What is the explanation? Don't you have access to real onions and garlic?

Onion Powder

Thinking about this odd culinary phenonemon, I went looking for onion powder in China. It is available. In 100 cwt sacks for industrial usage. It is also available in more sensibly sized containers for use in the domestic kitchen - but only from expensive import stores. (Even though it was probably produced in China, in the first place.)

The only thing I do come across other than fresh onions (in many  forms) and garlic is this dried wild onion, although I've no idea what people do with it. I have ask ed friends, but just get blank looks.

Most mysterious.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I confess myself baffled by onion powder. It seems that almost every American recipe uses it (slight exaggeration!) Same with garlic powder. I'm sure it is available in Europe, but have never seen it in the stores or seen anyone use it. If we want onions, we use onions. Ditto garlic. Why? Don't you have access to real onions and garlic?

Onion Powder

The only thing I do come across other than fresh onions (in many  forms) and garlic is this dried wild onion, although I've no idea what people do with it. I have ask ed friends, but just get blank looks.

Most mysterious.