• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Not exactly like the photo on the package. Contains no grainy bits and no squid or any species classified under cephalopoda. It's like a thick stew/soup with vegs and mussels.
8R3Xb6X.jpg

Squid in own ink. I'm partial to cuttlefish but squid is fine, too.
i4xF6Bh.jpg

OJx36Rb.jpg

Wine from this island. "Semi sweet" but not too, and quite palatable. I would describe it as "Feinherb", which refers to German Riesling classifications in the system of quality. But of course, it's nothing like (Mosel) Feinherb Riesling, which is complex and sublime. El Grifo is one of the most recognised wine producer on Lanzarote.
crqtm4f.jpg

On this day we did a walk called "Camino de los Gracioseros", which starts in Ye village 2 hours on foot from my base village. To our horror, the entire way down there were only loose lava rocks of all sizes, and also razor sharp rocks, with absolutely nothing to hold on to, and is completely open on one side. All interest in photography was suddenly diminished. I put all my energy into looking at the rocks and be mindful of where I put my feet down. On the way back up I saw a handful of people wearing flimsy fashionable sandals. How did they do it? They must be experienced and highly confident trail walkers.

It was a big relief to finally touch the flat ground. Took us 1 hour of walking very slowly and mindfully to get off the trail. Another half an hour to the beach. Just came down from up there! The best beach is an empty one.

Took only half the time to get back up. More people were coming down by then, some of whom asked how much farther and if we were mountain goats (for making it back to the start of the trail so quickly). Views from the start of the camino. La Graciosa island is visible from here.

Ye is a tiny village at the foot of the omnipresent volcano La Corona. All the tourists come by car, we use the bus and/or walk. Ye village is so rural there are only a couple of bus departures a day. In this photo you can see the typical architecture of Lanzarote... houses are in cube style, starch white, and the roof is flat. Some newer houses have loped roofs, but tiles are rare. Oh, here comes my bus, only 15 minutes late (quite normal).

Ye has one restaurant and serves only meat dishes. Tiny potatoes grown in the village. At home they would bin this kind of tiny and 'ugly' potatoes.

ny5wRsV.jpg

Tender goat. Leg meat, mostly.
90oyXDC.jpg

Pluma cut of 100% Iberico pork.
9ksoH6I.jpg

@Paul Bacino, most tourists take a lunch or coffee break here in Haria (ah-REE-ah) on a half day side trip to the north. I wanted to base up here for the tranquillity and to do walks in the area. We don't want the crowds and noise of the pulsating tourist resorts in the south where most (package) tourists stay so Haria is perfect.

BonVivant

BonVivant

Not exactly like the photo on the package. Contains nothing grainy bits and no squid or any species classified under cephalopoda. It's like a thick stew/soup with vegs and mussels.
8R3Xb6X.jpg

Squid in own ink. I'm partial to cuttlefish but squid is fine, too.
i4xF6Bh.jpg

OJx36Rb.jpg

Wine from this island. "Semi sweet" but not too, and quite palatable. I would describe it as "Feinherb", which refers to German Riesling classifications in the system of quality. But of course, it's nothing like (Mosel) Feinherb Riesling, which is complex and sublime. El Grifo is one of the most recognised wine producer on Lanzarote.
crqtm4f.jpg

On this day we did a walk called "Camino de los Gracioseros", which starts in Ye village 2 hours on foot from my base village. To our horror, the entire way down there were only loose lava rocks of all sizes, and also razor sharp rocks, with absolutely nothing to hold on to, and is completely open on one side. All interest in photography was suddenly diminished. I put all my energy into looking at the rocks and be mindful of where I put my feet down. On the way back up I saw a handful of people wearing flimsy fashionable sandals. How did they do it? They must be experienced and highly confident trail walkers.

It was a big relief to finally touch the flat ground. Took us 1 hour of walking very slowly and mindfully to get off the trail. Another half an hour to the beach. Just came down from up there! The best beach is an empty one.

Took only half the time to get back up. More people were coming down by then, some of whom asked how much farther and if we were mountain goats (for making it back to the start of the trail so quickly). Views from the start of the camino. La Graciosa island is visible from here.

Ye is a tiny village at the foot of the omnipresent volcano La Corona. All the tourists come by car, we use the bus and/or walk. Ye village is so rural there are only a couple of bus departures a day. In this photo you can see the typical architecture of Lanzarote... houses are in cube style, starch white, and the roof is flat. Some newer houses have loped roofs, but tiles are rare. Oh, here comes my bus, only 15 minutes late (quite normal).

Ye has one restaurant and serves only meat dishes. Tiny potatoes grown in the village. At home they would bin this kind of tiny and 'ugly' potatoes.

ny5wRsV.jpg

Tender goat. Leg meat, mostly.
90oyXDC.jpg

Pluma cut of 100% Iberico pork.
9ksoH6I.jpg

@Paul Bacino, most tourists take a lunch or coffee break here in Haria (ah-REE-ah) on a half day side trip to the north. I wanted to base up here for the tranquillity and to do walks in the area. We don't want the crowds and noise of the pulsating tourist resorts in the south where most (package) tourists stay so Haria is perfect.