• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

Clean-up! :-)

Another NY Time review.  (should be unlocked link) 

I’d have loved it if I were 17. The author goes all in on Bourdain’s angst, his instinctive distrust of authority, his hero-worship of talented outsiders like Hunter S. Thompson and Iggy Pop and William S. Burroughs.

The older me, the one who prefers wine to fizz, wishes Leerhsen had more to say about things like: a) the elite and vernacular food worlds pre- and post-Bourdain; b) how Bourdain walked a moral tightrope across the conventions of travel writing and reporting, no mean feat for a wealthy white man in skinny jeans; and c) the sense that he was at the vanguard, more so than even the most scrutinized actors, of a new type of American masculinity. Here was an outdoor, rather than an indoor, cat.

You can’t have everything. Leerhsen sacrifices weight for speed.

FauxPas

FauxPas

Clean-up! :-)

Another review from NY Times.   (should be free to all)

I’d have loved it if I were 17. The author goes all in on Bourdain’s angst, his instinctive distrust of authority, his hero-worship of talented outsiders like Hunter S. Thompson and Iggy Pop and William S. Burroughs.

The older me, the one who prefers wine to fizz, wishes Leerhsen had more to say about things like: a) the elite and vernacular food worlds pre- and post-Bourdain; b) how Bourdain walked a moral tightrope across the conventions of travel writing and reporting, no mean feat for a wealthy white man in skinny jeans; and c) the sense that he was at the vanguard, more so than even the most scrutinized actors, of a new type of American masculinity. Here was an outdoor, rather than an indoor, cat.

FauxPas

FauxPas

Another review from NY Times. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/books/review/charles-leerhsen-anthony-bourdain.html?unlocked_article_code=bmVV1I809Pf3wHcA5j_19PtBQYRw76gYyj_2vdzskGu2xoSvHDU6Sf4m-edmnpLud_SD-PeT2DtA4R_YmNijrCEflCBhLCbzhfw0uK4etLf6jy_8PpVgvelX9A4-BhEW-5--WXp1791kYEl9xq9HItNwnkwQ2OSbKj_N92X2QsjaQVXWhJxJKD3ub3v3OezqQBjkmQWYE6IaSC0frew1-d3Rk-YNZbO2HVOVO7YGl34UuxKYiQCQjqpY_lxi48oHcfXjuRAP_bjbI3AvgZgiKGIXr3Jy0QNq_i9szAmpnesYroEMK3AjufRCxGWhHh6lKQlnRegYyxai3W9r7qt2AoJ5Omy3C1sGr8WCXK3oYTs&smid=share-url