• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, SusieQ said:

About this word cordycep. A word new to me. So I looked it up and found this definition: " Cordyceps is a genus of parasitic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects."

Unfortunately, you have stumbled upon an incomplete definition.

Cordycep sinensis is a parastic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects. There are over 400 types of cordyceps. Non-parasitic human-bred varieties have become mainstream in recent years. What I ate (and regularly eat) is cordyceps militaris, a non-parasitic type. It is cultivated locally and often served in chicken soup.

1266173173_cordycepmilitaris1.thumb.jpg.dfa59006ef8694fdff68aea0133b6130.jpg

Dried Cordycep Militaris

140787578_cordycepmilitarisfresh.thumb.jpg.9a50f54f76f912dd1bc4458222d235c5.jpg

Fresh Cordyceps Militaris

Although I would have no objection in principle to eating cordycep sinensis (I've eaten insects and I've eaten fungi,so I can save time and eat them together), sinensis is gathered from the wilds of the high Tibetan Himalayas and is, as a result, prohibitively expensive. It would be about $300 USD for that bowl of soup.

sinensis2.thumb.jpg.f001e9568efa3c8a70c9088c2ca48927.jpg

Cordycep sinensis

As to the word 'cordycep', it is derived from the Greek kordulē meaning ‘club’ and latin caput meaning head 'head', presumably describing the shape.

There are very, very few  English menus outside of the largest cities (Beijing, Shanghai etc). Most of those in Liuzhou, I've translated! On menus most places, they would use the Chinese name, 虫草 (chóng cǎo) for sinensis and 虫草花 (chóng cǎo huā) for militaris. That last character in militaris means 'flower(s)' and indicates that it is only the fungus without the larvae. Even if someone misread it, the price would soon alert them. Militaris is very cheap.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, SusieQ said:

About this word cordycep. A word new to me. So I looked it up and found this definition: " Cordyceps is a genus of parasitic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects."

Unfortunately, you have stumbled upon an incomplete definition.

Cordycep sinensis is a parastic fungi that grows on the larvae of insects. There are over 400 types of cordyceps. Non-parasitic human-bred varieties have become mainstream in recent years. What I ate (and regularly eat) is cordyceps militaris, a non-parasitic type. It is cultivated locally and often served in chicken soup.

1266173173_cordycepmilitaris1.thumb.jpg.dfa59006ef8694fdff68aea0133b6130.jpg

Dried Cordycep Militaris

140787578_cordycepmilitarisfresh.thumb.jpg.9a50f54f76f912dd1bc4458222d235c5.jpg

Fresh Cordyceps Militaris

Although I would have no objection in principle to eating cordycep sinensis (I've eaten insects and I've eaten fungi,so I can save time and eat them together), sinensis is gathered from the wilds of the high Tibetan Himalayas and is, as a result, prohibitively expensive. It would be about $300 USD for that bowl of soup.

sinensis2.thumb.jpg.f001e9568efa3c8a70c9088c2ca48927.jpg

Cordyep sinensis

As to the word 'cordycep', it is derived from the Greek kordulē meaning ‘club’ and latin caput meaning head 'head', presumably describing the shape.

There are very, very few  English menus outside of the largest cities (Beijing, Shanghai etc). Most of those in Liuzhou, I've translated! On menus most places, they would use the Chinese name, 虫草 (chóng cǎo) for sinensis and 虫草花 (chóng cǎo huā) for militaris. That last character in militaris means 'flower(s)' and indicates that it is only the fungus without the larvae. Even if someone misread it, the price would soon alert them. Militaris is very cheap.