• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 8/8/2021 at 9:37 PM, orbisvicis said:

I've read that a wok doesn't do well on flat stoves, and needs commercial-grade heat to really shine. Most sites recommend getting a frying pan or stir-fry pan instead, which is basically a frying pan with high-curved sides, aka chef's pan aka sauteuse evasée aka everyday pan .

Also, its not like I can do chicken parm in a wok.

Well, what you have read is largely nonsense. Over a billion people are right now cooking dinner in woks on non-commercial-grade stoves. See here.

Woks were invented for stir-frying centuries ago. And today, many (most) come with slightly flattened bases, so that they can be used on convection cookers. I'll grant they don't do so well on traditional electric stoves, but what does?

What makes you think you can do chicken parm in a skillet but not in a wok?

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, orbisvicis said:

I've read that a wok doesn't do well on flat stoves, and needs commercial-grade heat to really shine. Most sites recommend getting a frying pan or stir-fry pan instead, which is basically a frying pan with high-curved sides, aka chef's pan aka sauteuse evasée aka everyday pan .

Well, what you have read is largely nonsense. Over a billion a billion people are right now cooking dinner in woks on non-commercial-grade stoves. See here.

Woks were invented for stir-frying centuries ago. And today, many (most) come with slightly flattened bases, so that they can be used on convection cookers. I'll grant they don't do so well on traditional electric stoves, but what does?

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, orbisvicis said:

Well, what you have read is largely nonsense. Over a billion a billion people are right now cooking dinner on non-commercial-grade stoves. See here.