• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

ETA; defining one fell swoop ;)

Curiosity question - when you are making bonbons, are you fulfilling orders (for wholesale or retail or a combination of both) or making inventory?  I'm not making fine chocolates  (I'm not making *any* chocolates ;)) so I wonder where the place is that would give you more ROI of time.  Does having an intern polish molds make sense or is there the chance if it's not done properly, the end result is the piece doesn't come out of the mold and you lose that one(s)?  Or is it possible to store the pieces you make in a day and then package several days' production all at once?

I routinely refer to myself as the efficiency bitch because I am always looking at how to make a process more efficient.  For example: It drives me up a wall when someone is filling cannoli, and they fill the shell, put it on a sheet pan and wait til all of them are filled; then they dip the ends in vermicelli and back on the sheet pan and then box them up.   (this happens only once with a new person!) Every time you handle something adds to your labor cost; so cannoli shells are counted out for each order, they are filled, dipped in the vermicelli and put into the box in one fell swoop.  (ETA that this means you fill one shell, dip the filled shell and put the shell in the box. Then go to the next one, etc)

So I'm curious about whether it's even possible to do the same in chocolate making.

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

Curiosity question - when you are making bonbons, are you fulfilling orders (for wholesale or retail or a combination of both) or making inventory?  I'm not making fine chocolates  (I'm not making *any* chocolates ;)) so I wonder where the place is that would give you more ROI of time.  Does having an intern polish molds make sense or is there the chance if it's not done properly, the end result is the piece doesn't come out of the mold and you lose that one(s)?  Or is it possible to store the pieces you make in a day and then package several days' production all at once?

I routinely refers to myself as the efficiency bitch because I am always looking at how to make a process more efficient.  For example: It drives me up a wall when someone is filling cannoli, and they fill the shell, put it on a sheet pan and wait til all of them are filled; then they dip the ends in vermicelli and back on the sheet pan and then box them up.   (this happens only once with a new person!) Every time you handle something adds to your labor cost; so cannoli shells are counted out for each order, they are filled, dipped in the vermicelli and put into the box in one fell swoop. 

So I'm curious about whether it's even possible to do the same in chocolate making.