• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I had a fairly smooth day of bonbon-ing today, 12 molds (CW2295, 32 cavity dome) start to finish (but not fully packaged/put away).  I took notes on the timing, just in case it helps.  I planned ahead and put my colors in a melter overnight, otherwise I'd microwave them while polishing molds

polishing molds: 30 minutes

airbrushing molds, meanwhile melting ganaches in the microwave: 1 hour

tempering chocolate, casting shells: 45 min

tempering & piping fillings: 1 hour

making one more layer on the hazelnut, re-tempering what's in the melter, and lunch break: 45 min

capping all molds: 45 min

packaging & etc: 2 hours plus

So 5 hours of production, probably 4 hours of packaging for 384 pieces.  I did lose a few, say at the end of the day I have 40 bonbons per hour made and in the box.   If labor costs $20/hr, that's 50 cents a piece in labor. I'll make a little at wholesale, do better at retail, and would do even better if I can produce more in less time :/  Or I could charge more, I did raise prices recently but am still far from the most expensive in town. Retail is around $2.50 a piece.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I had a fairly smooth day of bonbon-ing today, 12 molds (CW2295, 32 cavity dome) start to finish (but not fully packaged/put away).  I took notes on the timing, just in case it helps.  I planned ahead and put my colors in a melter overnight, otherwise I'd microwave them while polishing molds

polishing molds: 30 minutes

airbrushing molds, meanwhile melting ganaches in the microwave: 1 hour

tempering chocolate, casting shells: 45 min

tempering & piping fillings: 1 hour

making one more layer on the hazelnut, re-tempering what's in the melter, and lunch break: 45 min

capping all molds: 45 min

packaging & etc: 2 hours plus

So 5 hours of production, probably 4 hours of packaging for 384 pieces.  I did lose a few, say at the end of the day I have 40 bonbons per hour made and in the box.   If labor costs $20/hr, that's 50 cents a piece in labor. I'll make a little at wholesale, do better at retail, and would do even better if I can produce more in less time :/  I did raise prices recently but am still far from the most expensive in town.