• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pancetta Tesa Mold

daniel123456789876543

I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 

It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.

It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.

But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.d0fae0b1549792b1c2602b3ae1e6ddc2.JPG

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.bbce9bfe72e482886628ca7169711829.JPG

• 7 months later...

Hi Daniel,

I tried pancetta. We have a high population of Italians here locally and the imported pancetta is hard to compete with. When I made mine I put it in a small frig in the basement (too warm of a basement to hang cure). 

I did cover the meat with Bactoferm mold (the white stuff found on sausages). I also put a jar with white vinegar in the frig. 

The white mold hardly grew. The vinegar I think kill off everything. 

hope this helps - happy holidays