• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potato & Pecan

Rail Paul

I just did take-out from SP&P (103 Forest St in Montclair, opposite the DMV). Brooke Tarabour mentioned it in her food column a few weeks ago. The restaurant is a short block north of the Walnut Street restaurant / bakery area, and a block up from the Walnut street train station.

Very small, one table, and small bench. Very airy, large glass windows. Busy place, phone rang constantly with t/o orders. You can look into the kitchen with four guys chopping, basting, frying, spicing. Very clean, they washed continuously. The menu had African-American and Jamaican classic items.

I ordered fried chicken (warm, moist, slightly less crispy skin than I like, but good, with lots of pepper spicing). Jerk pork sandwich had chunks of browned pork, with a strong allspice, peppers, oranges flavor to them. I'm guessing they pressure cook the pork with the spices, then roast it to a just moist finish. Served on an OK roll. The chicken was $7 for 4 pieces (large breast, leg, wing, thigh), the pork was $4.

Other items on the menu included specials of

--chopped tennessee bbq sandwich $4.50

--Jamaican chicken soup

--Smothered chicken $6.50

--Curried goat 8.50

--Oxtails

(with chicken goat, oxtails you get two sides, these include yams, mashed potatoes, squash, mac n cheese, string beans, etc)

Also had whiting on the menu, I noticed them frying the pieces, turning them, and spicing the filets with a powder. Very aromatic. BBQ ribs for 14.50

Will try the goat next time I get back there. I think the sandwich would have been spectacular on a ciabatta roll, with a little more sauce

I don't want to offer a comparison to Indigo Smoke (4 blcoks away) on just one visit but I liked the pork here very much.

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks for the report. Is it near Corso 98? We went to Island Style Restaurant, 33 Walnut St a few months back and were disappointed.

Yes, it's about a five minute walk to Corso from SP&P.

Actually, here's a walking tour.

Crossing of the railroad and Walnut street. Walk west one block on Walnut, and trumpets is on the corner. Continue walking on walnut and you pass Corso, opposite the end of N. Willow St. Poor Richard's furniture and collectible refinishing is across the street. The frame gallery and at least one art gallery are in this segment.

Continue walking on Walnut and the Montclair bread company is across the street. Bought a solid five grain organic which was more dense than I expected. You're now passing Gina's Paneficio. They had several ficelles in the window, and several large Tuscan loaves on the cooling racks.

Pass the Osbourne tap room, or drop in for a brew. Pass the Oppenheimer meat wholesalers and the Harley place.

Turn right on Forest and walk about 100 yards to SP&P on the next corner. If you walk down the side street, that comes out at the former Luna Stage, opposite the train station.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

i'm glad you wrote in about this place since i drove by it not long ago and was intrigued...sounds like it's worth a try.

It's VERY small. One table, seating four, and one bench. The kitchen is huge, however, easily 400sf - 500sf from what I could see. I think the Tarabour article mentioned they do a lot of catering, which makes sense.

Rosie -

I confess I didn't walk past Oppenheimer's and Osbourne's on this past Saturday, I drove. So, I didn't actually peek into the brewhouse. I did park in front of Corso and walk up to the Bread Company, though.

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I had the roast salmon and jerk roast pork sandwich from Sweet Potato & Pecan tonight. Very satisfying.

The olive oil & rosemary smeared salmon was seared in a hot pan, and roasted for a few minutes. Sides of grilled squash and (coconut milk rice, red beans, and pork brownies) were very good. The roast pork was large chunks of allspice, cinnamon, and garlic infused pork served with a thin, sweet sauce.

Fine food, and the bill was about $14

The menu also included curried goat, oxtails, jerk shrimp, fried chicken, collards, plantains, ackee, callaloo, etc.

The uphill neighborhood is rapidly gentrifying. Located just one block from the Walnut Ave train station (26 minutes to midtown) and greenmarket, many 1890s victorians are being converted back to single family homes. I figure there will be $tarbux sighting within weeks...

rancho gordo

No. Only place I can recommend is Blue Marlin in Bradley Beach. Never been to Green Grotto in New Brunswick. Didn't like Island Style in Montclair and there is another place (don't remember name) on Eagle Rock Ave. in West Orange that I didn't care for either.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Have they added more tables?

No.

Just the one table. It isn't the most attractive interior at the moment, with a large soda fridge dominating the room.

My guess is virtually all of their business is take-out or catering. The one person ahead of me did take out, and the woman behind me had called ahead for a quart of oxtail soup, red beans, and stewed greens.

rancho gordo