• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typ

23 hours ago, KennethT said:

Now you have me wondering whether we were served hoisin or tianmian in the duck restaurants in Beijing.  I just assumed it was hoisin becaue I had never heard of tianmian.  Hua's restaurant for sure didn't taste like hoisin - it had a medicinal herbal quality to it that reminded me of some TCM that I used to take years ago. But tastier for sure.

I also wonder if what I had the other night wasn't hoisin either.  It, too, wasn't very sweet and was quite good.  And the fact that it's not in NYC Chinatown (which is predominantly Cantonese) makes the possibility greater.

Looking back at the images you posted in the Pandemic topic, I'd wager that is tianmian sauce you had. It is thicker and darker than hoisin. And less sweet.

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

Now you have me wondering whether we were served hoisin or tianmian in the duck restaurants in Beijing.  I just assumed it was hoisin becaue I had never heard of tianmian.  Hua's restaurant for sure didn't taste like hoisin - it had a medicinal herbal quality to it that reminded me of some TCM that I used to take years ago. But tastier for sure.

I also wonder if what I had the other night wasn't hoisin either.  It, too, wasn't very sweet and was quite good.  And the fact that it's not in NYC Chinatown (which is predominantly Cantonese) makes the possibility greater.

Looking back at the images you poeted in the Pandemic topic, I'd wager that is tianmian sauce you had. It is thicker and darker than hoisin. And less sweet.