• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jrshaul

jrshaul

I have a peanut butter swiss meringue buttercream frosting / pie filling recipe that goes like this:

1/2c butter
1/2c creamy unsalted all-peanut PB
3  egg whites
2/3c granulated sugar
1/2c brown sugar. (I use regular sugar for cake frosting.)

Pulverize brown sugar to dust in blendar. Mix warm melted butter with PB and brown sugar; do NOT heat PB or it gets all grainy. Make swiss meringue with egg whites and sugar; fold together. 

It's not bad, and as an improvement on the traditional Cool Whip PB fluff pies, it's a huge improvement. Compared to the Jif-butter-and-powdered-sugar "buttercreams" I've seen...well, it doesn't physically engage my gag reflex. But it's  too heavy for a pie and not quite smooth enough for either application. 

I'd also like to do a pistachio or hazelnut version using whole pistachios and hazelnuts; raw pistachios are cheaper and easier to get as a consumer and they produce an excellent color. I was thinking just blend the pistachios, butter, and sugar in a blender, but I imagine there's a more clever option. 

(Added bonus: Any thoughts on pasteurizing eggs sous vide for meringue? I can't get it to work; they're fine for mayonnaise but won't whip.)

jrshaul

jrshaul

I have a peanut butter swiss meringue buttercream frosting / pie filling recipe that goes like this:

1/2c butter
1/2c creamy unsalted all-peanut PB
3  egg whites
2/3c granulated sugar
1/2c brown sugar. (I use regular sugar for cake frosting.)

Pulverize brown sugar to dust in blendar. Mix warm melted butter with PB and brown sugar; do NOT heat PB or it gets all grainy. Make swiss meringue with egg whites and sugar; fold together. 

It's not bad, and as an improvement on the traditional Cool Whip PB fluff pies, it's a huge improvement. But it's a bit too heavy for a pie and not quite smooth enough for either application. 

I'd also like to do a pistachio or hazelnut version using whole pistachios and hazelnuts; raw pistachios are cheaper and easier to get as a consumer and they produce an excellent color. I was thinking just blend the pistachios, butter, and sugar in a blender, but I imagine there's a more clever option. 

(Added bonus: Any thoughts on pasteurizing eggs sous vide for meringue? I can't get it to work; they're fine for mayonnaise but won't whip.)