• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

Curious if anyone here has experience with racks for storing cans -- of the "tin" variety. It doesn't look like it's anything that's been discussed here before.

We are overrun with the damn things and I can't make them fit well in our pantry -- the shelves are deep and the solutions I'm coming up with either waste a lot of space, or make it necessary to remove huge bins of cans and sort through them.

We live in an apartment with no basement or garage, so everything needs to stay in or near the kitchen.

Looking around I see two basic types of racks on the market -- simple gravity-fed shelves like these:

A187zCMtplL._AC_SX355_.jpg

and fancy "FIFO" racks like these:

Amazon.com - FIFO Mini Can Tracker Stores up to 30 Cans | Rotates ...

The latter seem better designed in a lot of ways -- but they also seem designed for people who have a huge quantity of a small variety of cans. (Also a lot of this is discussed on sites with...very different perspectives on society. I am not looking to equip a bunker, thank you.)

With a very few exceptions, we have a small number of a huge variety of things.

I'd thought about getting a FIFO rack for the few things we do stockpile in quantity (tomatoes and beans), but those come in different size cans (28oz/#2.5 vs 15oz/#30x). The other stuff we have is probably 80% smaller cans and 20% in larger #2.5 cans. So I feel like we'd end up needing two FIFO racks for the tomatoes and beans, and two non-FIFO for the other stuff...

All of this is a long winded way of saying...does anyone have a solution that works? 😀

dtremit

dtremit

Curious if anyone here has experience with racks for storing cans -- of the "tin" variety. It doesn't look like it's anything that's been discussed here before.

We are overrun with the damn things and I can't make them fit well in our pantry -- the shelves are deep and the solutions I'm coming up with either waste a lot of space, or make it necessary to remove huge bins of cans and sort through them.

We live in an apartment with no basement or garage, so everything needs to stay in or near the kitchen.

Looking around I see two basic types of racks on the market -- simple gravity-fed shelves like these:

The latter seem better designed in a lot of ways -- but they also seem designed for people who have a huge quantity of a small variety of cans. (Also a lot of this is discussed on sites with...very different perspectives on society.)

I'd thought about getting a FIFO rack for the few things we do stockpile in quantity (tomatoes and beans), but those come in different size cans (28oz/#2.5 vs 15oz/#30x). The other stuff we have is probably 80% smaller cans and 20% in larger #2.5 cans. So I feel like we'd end up needing two FIFO racks for the tomatoes and beans, and two non-FIFO for the other stuff...

All of this is a long winded way of saying...does anyone have a solution that works? 😀

dtremit

dtremit

The latter seem better designed in a lot of ways -- but they also seem designed for people who have a huge quantity of a small variety of cans.