• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

I do consider myself lucky in this regard as, I am a  good cook and live in a city that is incredibly accommodating to any diet.. But when I was in the suburbs of chicago last week, it felt very under served..  My hotel had no options outside of fruit, the restaurants in the area only had fries or avocado slices with chips and a side order of potatoes.. There were two restaurants that had vegan food with fast food style dining.. I am sure after a few days of eating falafel and vegan cheesesteaks, it would get old quick. 

I had friends over the other day and made everything vegan and just tossed them a steak..   They were unaware that the meal up until; we had separate entrees were vegan.  And even though they liked the dry aged medium rare steaks, the sides were clearly the best thing served. 

But yeh, eating vegan just involves more cooking and more skill I think.. It's very easy and very rewarding to just throw a chicken in the oven, or a piece of meat on the grill.  You have to work a little more and the vegetables need more care. 

BKEats

BKEats

I do consider myself lucky in this regard as, I am a  good cook and live in a city that is incredibly accommodating to any diet.. But when I was in the suburbs of chicago last week, it felt very under served..  My hotel had no options outside of fruit, the restaurants in the area only had fries or avocado slices with chips and a side order of potatoes.. There were two restaurants that had vegan food with fast food style dining.. I am sure after a few days of eating falafel and vegan cheesesteaks, it would get old quick. 

I had friends over the other day and made everything vegan and just tossed them a steak..   They were unaware that the meal up until; we had separate entrees were vegan.  And even though they liked the dry aged medium rare steaks, the sides were clearly the best thing served. 

BKEats

BKEats

I do consider myself lucky in this regard as, I a good cook and live in a city that is incredibly accommodating to any diet.. But when I was in the suburbs of chicago last week, it felt very under served..  My hotel had no options outside of fruit, the restaurants in the area only had fries or avocado slices with chips and a side order of potatoes.. There were two restaurants that had vegan food with fast food style dining.. I am sure after a few days of eating falafel and vegan cheesesteaks, it would get old quick.