• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Steve R.

Steve R.

As Kim said, “Stella’s is excellent”.  We sat at the bar & had a great time talking to the 2 bartenders (Morgan & Mike) about the upcoming NFL game (Dallas vs Brady’s Tampa).  Although they were split on rooting interest, I was hoping that both could lose.  Well, at least Brady wound up going down.

At any rate, everything we ate was well above the level we are used to in this price range and environment (really nicely done place).  Over many years in NYC, I’ve managed to find some upper end more expensive Greek places that are excellent &, yes, there are quite a few other places, especially in Astoria, that are well worth going to.  However, this was smack in the middle of those 2 categories and well appreciated.  Especially good was my “small plate” of smelts.  The portion was large enough to be a main dish if ordered with a side (all the apps. seemed to be sharable by 2-3 reasonably hungry folks).  The smelts were very cleanly fried.  I was a little surprised that the serving was not a bunch of the very small variety, but were a plate full of large fish. Very meaty, fresh and tasty.  We’ve found another place to love.

Steve R.

Steve R.

As Kim said, “Stella’s is excellent”.  We sat at the bar & had a great time talking to the 2 bartenders (Morgan & Mike) about the upcoming NFL game (Dallas vs Brady’s Tampa).  Although they were split on rooting interest, I was hoping that both could lose.  Well, at least Brady wound up going down.

At any rate, everything we ate was well above the level we are used to in this price range and in such a nice atmospere.  Over many years in NYC, I’ve managed to find some upper end more expensive Greek places that are excellent &, yes, there are quite a few other places, especially in Astoria, that are well worth going to.  However, this was smack in the middle of those 2 categories and well appreciated.  Especially good was my “small plate” of smelts.  The portion was large enough to be a main dish if ordered with a side (all the apps. seemed to be sharable by 2-3 reasonably hungry folks).  The smelts were very cleanly fried.  I was a little surprised that the serving was not a bunch of the very small variety, but were a plate full of large fish. Very meaty, fresh and tasty.  We’ve found another place to love.