• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

Ahhh, ahh, googootz, love it. I remember when I used to work in NY a colleague of mine said to me, in English, that he won a competition for his « googootz », I had to hold myself for not laughing. I didn’t want to be mean, it was just unexpected. It’s like speaking in English and suddenly saying something in Sicilian dialect. That is known in Italian as zucchina siciliana, zucchina lunga (long) or italianized cucuzza. In all South of Italy « cucuzza » in dialect means zucchini and in colloquial terms in Italian it also means « head ».  The long zucchini is generally peeled and cooked into a soup. The most famous, you can google it, is pasta con i tenerumi. The tenerumi are the zucchini shoots. 

The zucchina trombetta, trompette for the french, is totally different. The skin is softer, no need to peel . 

Franci

Franci

Ahhh, ahh, googootz, love it. I remember when I used to work in NY a colleague of mine said to me, in English, that he won a competition for his « googootz », I had to hold myself for not laughing. I didn’t want to be mean, it was just unexpected. It’s like speaking in English and suddenly saying something in Sicilian dialect. That is known in Italian as zucchina siciliana, zucchina lunga (long) or italianized cuccuzza. In all South of Italy « cucuzza » in dialect means zucchini and in colloquial terms in Italian it also means « head ».  The long zucchini is generally peeled and cooked into a soup. The most famous, you can google it, is pasta con i tenerumi. The tenerumi are the zucchini shoots. 

The zucchina trombetta, trompette for the french, is totally different. The skin is softer, no need to peel . 

Franci

Franci

Ahhh, ahh, googootz, love it. I remember when I used to work in NY a colleague of mine said to me, in English, that he won a competition for his « googootz », I had to hold myself for not laughing. I didn’t want to be mean, it was just unexpected. It’s like speaking in English and suddenly saying something in Sicilian dialect. That is known in Italian as zucchina siciliana, zucchina lunga (long) or italianized cuccuzza. In all South of Italy « cuccuzza » in dialect means zucchini and in colloquial terms in Italian it also means « head ».  The long zucchini is generally peeled and cooked into a soup. The most famous, you can google it, is pasta con i tenerumi. The tenerumi are the zucchini shoots.