• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Did you try Googling? That always helps. And even if you don't find a local source, you may find someone who is aware of a local source.

I have not contacted any of these "finds":

THISTLE MEATS
160 Petaluma Blvd.
Petaluma, CA 94952
(707) 772-5442

707-521-0121

35 Sebastopol Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA   95407

If you Google for "Sonoma County Charcuterie" you get a lot of restaurants serving charcuterie but most should have local sources.

Here's a farm/source who will sell you a pork jowl (click).

Good luck on your search. Let us know what you find.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

SUCCESS! I've found a local source for guanciale! Panizzera Meat Co. in Valley Ford will be curing some in a few months. I've asked Ryan to set some aside for me; he'll probably do the same for you if you email him: panizzerameatco@gmail.com.

• Like 2
  • Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      It is possibly not well-known that China has some wonderful hams, up there with the best that Spain can offer. This lack of wide knowledge, at least in the USA, is mainly down to regulations forbidding their importation. However, for travellers to China and those in  places with less restrictive policies, here are some of the best.

This article from the WSJ is a good introduction to one of the best - Xuanwei Ham 宣威火腿  (xuān wēi huǒ tuǐ) from Yunnan province.
      This Ingredient Makes Everything Better
      I can usually obtain Xuanwei ham here around the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival, but I also have a good friend who lives in Yunnan who sends me regular supplies. The article compares it very favourably with jamon iberico, a sentiment with which I heartily agree.

Xuanwei Ham

Xuanwei Ham

more coming soon.

• By Joe Wood
      Where I live pork loin is often on sale  for $2.00 or even less... Has anyone an opinion about using just pork loin for the meat along with the 20% pork fat? ?
      I've read that any meat can be used to make the cured salami... I'd like to hear from anyone before I try it...
    • By Joe Wood
      Hello to all... At this stage of my dry salami making I'm afraid I have more questions than I'm entitled to. However any help I receive will be most appreciated.
      1.   I followed directions on the 5 lb. batch as well as I was able... Three weeks into this I have achieved about 43% reduction in weight on all links. I use a wine fridge to cure.. My neighbor took one link home at the same time and just "hung it in his refrigerator" with no special settings for humidity or temperature... This one came out IDENTICAL to all the rest in appearance and weight reduction of 43%. How can this be?
      2.   I put the left over Mold 600 in a bowl in with the drying salami links. Is this good or not good ?
      3.   Now  that desired weight has been achieved is further aging beneficial?
      Thanks so much for offering a site like this... All the best to all of you...
      Joe Wood

• By Grishna
      Coppa is a classic italian delicacy of matured cured meat. Not as widely known as prosciutto and, in my opinion, not  justifiably. The curing time takes weeks, as it should
      for a well matured and multilayered flavour. Good things come to those who wait, but while you do, why not treat yourself to a quick fix  of cooked coppa? Here is what I do:
      Salt the meat in 2% dry rub (nitrate salt and regular salt 50/50) in a vacuum bag for 5 days; Rub dry herbs and spices (whatever comes to mind). The meat will be sticky, so it's easy; Cook on rack above a tray in the oven on fan setting at 80 celcius to internal temperature 67 celsius.  This will take a couple of hours. When internal temperature reaches 60 -ish I add some boiling water in the tray to speed up the heat delivery; Cool in the fridge overnight; Enjoy. This is a seriously moreish ham.

• By devinp
      I just finished curing my first lomo, and all looks/smells/tastes great except a couple sections inside the lomo that could be black mold?  I kept the exterior clean from mold (I had mostly white and some green pop up during curing, but wiped with vinegar to keep clean).  This picture shows one of those spots closer to the edge in the fat, but there was a second near the middle of the loin that I cutout already.  Unless I find more substantial sections, I think I'm good just cutting away those parts, but would love second opinions..  Thanks.