• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner tonight was prepared with several Canadian herbs and spices with which I had not been familiar.  Google helped with some.  Could any kind Canadians enlighten me?

Dulse:  seaweed that tastes like bacon.  Contains all trace elements needed by humans.   Sounds OK by me.

Sweet Fern:  resinous bitter plant that is not a fern.

Wild Gaspésian Pepper:  no clue.  Why is wild better than not wild?

Labrador Tea:  favored by Inuit and First Nations people.  Wikipedia questions the toxicity.  Formerly added to beer to make beer more intoxicating.  Contains ledol used to invoke delirium in shamanistic rituals.  Also grayanotoxin, employed by Persians as a chemical weapon against Roman troops.

Edit:  and as a recreational drug in Nepal and Turkey.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner tonight was prepared with several Canadian herbs and spices with which I had not been familiar.  Google helped with some.  Could any kind Canadians enlighten me?

Dulse:  seaweed that tastes like bacon.  Contains all trace elements needed by humans.   Sounds OK by me.

Sweet Fern:  resinous bitter plant that is not a fern.

Wild Gaspésian Pepper:  no clue.  Why is wild better than not wild?

Labrador Tea:  favored by Inuit and First Nations people.  Wikipedia questions the toxicity.  Formerly added to beer to make beer more intoxicating.  Contains ledol used to invoke delirium in shamanistic rituals.  Also grayanotoxin, employed by Persians as a chemical weapon against Roman troops.