• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dans

dans

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh we love salmon, too.

David, you're going to force me to order from Pike's Place one last time before the heat sets in so I can participate in this :)  

I don't think I've ever seen salmon in the fish dept. at the big city grocery store --and if I did, I bet it's farmed.

As I said above, I get some from Pike's Place once or twice a year.  Big splurge, but cheaper than flying there myself lol.  I haven't gotten super creative.  While I'm trimming it up, I eat the trimmings raw (cook's treat).  I like to sear in a hot hot hot skillet with butter, skin down and then a flip.  We like ours rare (I like mine more rare than Ronnie so mine is really rare when I don't accidentally over cook it 🙄)  Sometimes I make a caper butter sauce to pour over.  I like the acidity of the capers with the fish.  If there are leftovers I like to use them to make onigirazu for breakfast the next morning.

Oh and dang it, Ronnie doesn't care for salmon skin so I have to eat all of his :) 

I order from the place next door. They aren't throwing fish around and will cut it whatever way you ask.  I just received a notice that they are taking orders for copper river salmon (king and sockeye).

We went to the Olympic Peninsula for a wedding one time and stopped at the stall at Pike Place Market. We got a whole salmon cut into steaks and packed to travel. People were raving about the salmon when I cut out the bone, tied it into a "burger" then grilled it up.  We have ordered some sent to us on the east coast a few times. Unfortunately, we sibned up with Cape Ann Fresh catch and they have salmon equally as good.

Check the two of the out:

Pure Food Fish Market

Cape Ann Fresh Catch

dans

dans

20 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh we love salmon, too.

David, you're going to force me to order from Pike's Place one last time before the heat sets in so I can participate in this :)  

I don't think I've ever seen salmon in the fish dept. at the big city grocery store --and if I did, I bet it's farmed.

As I said above, I get some from Pike's Place once or twice a year.  Big splurge, but cheaper than flying there myself lol.  I haven't gotten super creative.  While I'm trimming it up, I eat the trimmings raw (cook's treat).  I like to sear in a hot hot hot skillet with butter, skin down and then a flip.  We like ours rare (I like mine more rare than Ronnie so mine is really rare when I don't accidentally over cook it 🙄)  Sometimes I make a caper butter sauce to pour over.  I like the acidity of the capers with the fish.  If there are leftovers I like to use them to make onigirazu for breakfast the next morning.

Oh and dang it, Ronnie doesn't care for salmon skin so I have to eat all of his :) 

I order from the place next door. They aren't throwing fish around and will cut it whatever way you ask.  I just received a notice that they are taking orders for copper river salmon (king and sockeye).

We went to the Olympic Peninsula for a wedding one time and stopped at the stall at Pikes Market. We got a whole salmon cut into steaks and packed to travel. People were raving about the salmon when I cut out the bone, tied it into a "burger" then grilled it up.  We have ordered some sent to us on the east coast a few times. Unfortunately, we sibned up with Cape Ann Fresh catch and they have salmon equally as good.

Check the two of the out:

Pure Food Fish Market

Cape Ann Fresh Catch