• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add recipe info

Dinner from Season with some modifications.
Pulled Pork (not) Tacos with Apple & Serrano Slaw p 186. A version of the recipe is available online at this link.
Red Onions with Coriander p 274. Recipe is included with another dish at this link
Cocoa-Spiced Bean & Lentil (not) Soup p 71. A version of the recipe is available online at this link.
Shaved (not)Brussels Sprouts with Poppy Seeds, Black Mustard and Coconut Oil p 105. A version of the recipe is available online at this link.

fullsizeoutput_3b58.thumb.jpeg.eef2d6865ab661d9476667e90fa96bc1.jpeg
Clearly, that's not a tortilla so these are not tacos. I tucked the pulled pork, slaw & pickled onions into a whole wheat pita from the recipe in Shaya. Excellent, all the way around. No boneless pork butt to be found so I used package of country-style pork ribs, since they're pretty close on the pig. The pork is cooked in white wine, jaggery, apple cider vinegar and seasoned with amchur, Kashmiri chile, black pepper, cloves, bay leaves, green cardamom, star anise and a healthy amount of fresh ginger. After 3 hrs, the meat was still almost submerged in the sauce so on day 2, after skimming the fat, I simmered them uncovered for a while to reduce the sauce. I also thought it needed some salt so I added ~ 1t. I highly recommend the overnight wait for this as I thought the flavors were much improved.  
The Apple Serrano Slaw is fresh and delicious. I cut julienned the apples on the mandolin instead of grating as I think they look prettier and retain a bit more crispness. The recipe is simple:  apples, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cilantro, mint, serrano chile, white pepper. 
The pickled red onions are good on everything. 
I think pulled pork & slaw goes really well with baked beans on the side so for a Season version, I made a variation of the Cocoa-Spiced Bean & Lentil Soup with black beans & black lentils and used ~ 2 cups of water instead of 4 cups so it's thick and not a soup. Perfect side for this. 
I'd like to try the Brussels Sprouts per the book but needed to use up some black kale so I sliced it up into ribbons and used it in place of the sprouts. The black seeds on black kale lack visual impact but I like the flavors.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Dinner from Season with some modifications.
Pulled Pork (not) Tacos with Apple & Serrano Slaw p 186. A version of the recipe is available online at this link.
Red Onions with Coriander p 274. Recipe is included with another dish at this link
Cocoa-Spiced Bean & Lentil (not) Soup p 71. A version of the recipe is available online at this link.
Shaved (not)Brussels Sprouts with Poppy Seeds, Black Mustard and Coconut Oil p 105. A version of the recipe is available online at this link.

fullsizeoutput_3b58.thumb.jpeg.eef2d6865ab661d9476667e90fa96bc1.jpeg
Clearly, that's not a tortilla so these are not tacos. I tucked the pulled pork, slaw & pickled onions into a whole wheat pita from the recipe in Shaya. Excellent, all the way around. No boneless pork butt to be found so I used package of country-style pork ribs, since they're pretty close on the pig. After 3 hrs, the meat was still almost submerged in the sauce so on day 2, after skimming the fat, I simmered them uncovered for a while to reduce the sauce. I also thought it needed some salt so I added ~ 1t. I highly recommend the overnight wait for this as I thought the flavors were much improved.  
The Apple Serrano Slaw is fresh and delicious. I cut julienned the apples on the mandolin instead of grating as I think they look prettier and retain a bit more crispness. 
The pickled red onions are good on everything. 
I think pulled pork & slaw goes really well with baked beans on the side so for a Season version, I made a variation of the Cocoa-Spiced Bean & Lentil Soup with black beans & black lentils and used ~ 2 cups of water instead of 4 cups so it's thick and not a soup. Perfect side for this. 
I'd like to try the Brussels Sprouts per the book but needed to use up some black kale so I sliced it up into ribbons and used it in place of the sprouts. The black seeds on black kale lack visual impact but I like the flavors.