• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

You know, I started reading (okay, going down the rabbit hole) about "mini-starters," small sourdough starters, etc. etc.

I mean, from esteemed sources for sure. King Arthur sure seems to be writing a lot about it.

But if you feel guilty about throwing out a lot of unused discard this feeding method — which uses a lot less flour — might be just what you’re looking for!

So do our friends at Cook's Illustrated (and they've got a #hashtag!):  Make Your Own Mini Sourdough Starter With the #Quarantinystarter Project

I shared my tiny starter project idea—a recipe included—to my Instagram account, as well as the Cook’s Illustrated one, and the idea quickly went, well, viral. 

I wonder if they were reading eGullet, oh I dunno, 11 years ago?

Sam explained it in greater detail in the post preceding mine. He also debunked the equal parts refreshment theory, but I guess Cook's Illustrated and King Arthur haven't gotten around to that yet.

weinoo

weinoo

You know, I started reading (okay, going down the rabbit hole) about "mini-starters," small sourdough starters, etc. etc.

I mean, from esteemed sources for sure. King Arthur sure seems to be writing a lot about it.

But if you feel guilty about throwing out a lot of unused discard this feeding method — which uses a lot less flour — might be just what you’re looking for!

As do our friends at Cook's Illustrated (and they've got a #hashtag!):  Make Your Own Mini Sourdough Starter With the #Quarantinystarter Project

I shared my tiny starter project idea—a recipe included—to my Instagram account, as well as the Cook’s Illustrated one, and the idea quickly went, well, viral. 

I wonder if they were reading eGullet, oh I dunno, 11 years ago?

Sam explained it in greater detail in the post preceding mine. He also debunked the equal parts refreshment theory, but I guess Cook's Illustrated and King Arthur haven't gotten around to that yet.