• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

So it is your feeling that the archive should be curated in a way that wedge salad and grilled cheese recipes would either be free or culled from the site while more complex or innovative recipes might be deemed worthy of a subscription cost?  

Or do you have an objection to paying any fee to access the NYT recipe archives? 

the only time I see any recipe from NYT is when they send me an email usually entitled "What to cook this week"  It is  out of curiosity that I even look at any particular recipe.  When they send me a recipe title, then don't let me see the recipe, it feels like a bait and switch operation. Usually they are not blocked and I expect them to have original recipes, so I looked up Wedge Salad and Cheese Sandwich and a few others, because I thought:  What is so special about that? Then what is so secret about it? Then I really don't care to spend money to find out.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

So it is your feeling that the archive should be curated in a way that wedge salad and grilled cheese recipes would either be free or culled from the site while more complex or innovative recipes might be deemed worthy of a subscription cost?  

Or do you have an objection to paying any fee to access the NYT recipe archives? 

the only time I see any recipe from NYT is when they send me an email usually entitled "What to cook this week"  It is  out of curiosity that I even look at any particular recipe.  When they send me a recipe title, then don't let me see the recipe, it feels like a bait and switch operation. Usually they are not blocked so I looked up Wedge Salad and Cheese Sandwich and a few others, because I thought:  What is so special about that? Then what is so secret about it? Then I really don't care to spend money to find out.

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

the only time I see any recipe from NYT is when they send me an email usually entitled "What to cook this week"  It is  out of curiosity that I even look at any particular recipe.  When they send me a recipe title, then don't let me see the recipe, it feels like a bait and switch operation. Usually they are not blocked so I looked up Wedge Salad and Cheese Sandwich because I thought:  What is so special about that? Then what is so secret about it? Then I really don't care to spend money to find out.