• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Haven't been on here for a minute.

2024 should really be called the YEAR of precision cooktops.

The Breville Control Freak home is a total surprise! I really want to get it but it's too bad the price is basically the same as the my legacy CF. Actually just $100 more expensive than legacy CF which I got on Christmas sale. I know Chefsteps has a discounted price of $999 with subscription. But i'm on the fence..

Because there's a new built-in cooktop called the Impulse Cooktop. It came out earlier this year back in Jan. It's got a battery that boosts your US 110v outlets(normally 1800w) to output 10kwh, which translates to boiling 1 liter of water in 40s. That's incredible fast. And it has the same precision temp control and exposed sensor like the Breville. And the installation is easy as you don't need to pay an electrician to come install a 240v outlet. Because it can be plug into your existing 110v outlets.

Well...maybe I'm wrong. I still need somebody to make a cutout in my counter to fit this. So not exactly plug and play.😅

Not gonna lie, this Impulse cooktop does look good!

231204_Impulse_DSCF8277.jpg

231204_Impulse_DSCF8820_v2.jpg

The Breville Control Freak home is a total surprise! I really want to get it but it's too bad the price is basically the same as the my legacy CF. Actually just $100 more expensive than legacy CF which I got on Christmas sale. I know Chefsteps has a discounted price of $999 with subscription. But i'm on the fence..

Because there's a new built-in cooktop called the Impulse Cooktop. It came out earlier this year back in Jan. It's got a battery that boosts your US 110v outlets(normally 1800w) to output 10kwh, which translates to boiling 1 liter of water in 40s. That's incredible fast. And it has the same precision temp control and exposed sensor like the Breville. And the installation is easy as you don't need to pay an electrician to come install a 240v outlet. Because it can be plug into your existing 110v outlets.

Well...maybe I'm wrong. I still need somebody to make a cutout in my counter to fit this. So not exactly plug and play.😅

Not gonna lie, this built-in cooktop does look good!

The Breville Control Freak home is a total surprise! I really want to get it but it's too bad the price is basically the same as the my legacy CF. Actually just $100 more expensive than legacy CF which I got on Christmas sale. I know Chefsteps has a discounted price of $999 with subscription. But i'm on the fence.

Not gonna lie, this built-in cooktop does look good!