• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

6 hours ago, jandreas said:

I tried this without a liquid just to see the heating pattern.  This is what happens after about 20 seconds with it set to 200F.  

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_0001.JPG

That's quite the odd result. I've had overshoot, but never 340 degrees. Largest overshoot tends to happen on smaller pans. Most of my regular pans might have 5-10 degree overshoot that stabilize once the pan comes down to temperature (it seems like the CF software is "smart" and adapts once it learns how the pan heats up and responds to changes in power). 

Also the pattern is odd as it over heated on the edges.... I'm wondering if the center of the pan did not make proper contact with the through-the-glass temperature sensor (like it was warped?)... so the machine kept heating up and up and overheat the sides that were making good contact with the glass and hence affected by the induction element?  Just guessing...

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

6 hours ago, jandreas said:

I tried this without a liquid just to see the heating pattern.  This is what happens after about 20 seconds with it set to 200F.  

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_0001.JPG

That's quite the odd result. I've had overshoot, but never 340 degrees. Largest overshoot tends to happen on smaller pans. Most of my regular pans might have 5-10 degree overshoot. 

Also the pattern is odd as it over heated on the edges.... I'm wondering if the center of the pan did not make proper contact with the through-the-glass temperature sensor (like it was warped?)... so the machine kept heating up and up and overheat the sides that were making good contact with the glass and hence affected by the induction element?  Just guessing...