• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

Ive done it differently

I have not tried the 3 day in bag // 3 day in cheese cloth

so I can't say which I feel is better

I do two days on a clean rack over a pan in the coldest part of the refirg 

I though about 3 but more or less chicken out.     I also didn't want to go to the trouble of using cheese cloth

as I ahd to find some , wrap and unwrap.   hard work !

I coat each side and use my clean finger to move the RB40 around including the fast sides

then flip and do the other side.   I use enough FS to coat each side but leave no pools.   4 - 6 ++ drops each side

the steak dries over the 2 days  I can see and feel it on each side.   I tent w parchment paper but the pp

does not really touch the steak   I suppose after 24 hours you can flip the steaks 

but I did not do this all the time. some of the time , but it doesn't seem to be inmprtant

the rack was over a 1/3 seer pan and thus about 1/2 inch above the pan

when the come put of the refirg I SV  at 130  for 4 hours.  less time might be fine.

Ive chilled the bags and fz or kept them cold for steak sandwiches.

I have not had them for a " steak dinner which id use a torch

for the sandwiches I cut the steaks in 2 and re-bagged 1/2oved a steak is enough for me for a decent sandwich.

Ive also carefully removed all the fat/grizzle from the sides , then cut the cold steaks ( right out of the refit ) in 1/2

as its easier to put the steaks on their sides for slicing thinly.  the cut surfaces is flat and works well

a sharp knife is nice here

i let the steaks come up to room temp naturally before i make the sandwich.

no fishy aroma after SV.   just FS and nothing else has worked for me , but Id be interested in thoughts on this.

the steaks were so good I didn't want to fiddle

thinking about s lilght dusting of Penzey's granulated garlic after the 2 days in the refit some day.

I did 16 whole steaks total (  32 1/2 units ) and have has about 8 - 9 so far for sandwiches.

love to see what you do and how they turn out.

p.s.: several times a zillion years ago I saw the fireworks on a clear night

on the top floor / deck of large hospitals in BOS overlooking the basin where the 12 shell is

where the BostonPops  do the 4th of July concert  I could hear the piccolo ' semi-solo '

clearly I was that close.

now I just wait at home for the B--52  or fighter planes or B-2 boomer to quite literraly fly over my

house on the way to downtown BOS.

people get there at the cerack of dawn w a blaket to steak ( ha ha ) out their grid.

they are gong to have a nightly fine A++  miserable day :

no clouds in the sky ,  96 ++   and humid !

best of luck to them !

rotuts

rotuts

Ive done it differently

I have not tried the 3 day in bag // 3 day in cheese cloth

so I can't say which I feel is better

I do two days on a clean rack over a pan in the coldest part of the refirg 

I though about 3 but more or less chicken out.     I also didn't want to go to the trouble of using cheese cloth

as I ahd to find some , wrap and unwrap.   hard work !

I coat each side and use my clean finger to move the RB40 around including the fast sides

then flip and do the other side.   I use enough FS to coat each side but leave no pools.   4 - 6 ++ drops each side

the steak dries over the 2 days  I can see and feel it on each side.   I tent w parchment paper but the pp

does not really touch the steak   I suppose after 24 hours you can flip the steaks 

but I did not do this all the time. some of the time , but it doesn't seem to be inmprtant

the rack was over a 1/3 seer pan and thus about 1/2 inch above the pan

when the come put of the refirg I SV  at 130  for 4 hours.  less time might be fine.

Ive chilled the bags and fz or kept them cold for steak sandwiches.

I have not had them for a " steak dinner which id use a torch

for the sandwiches I cut the steaks in 2 and re-bagged 1/2oved a steak is enough for me for a decent sandwich.

Ive also carefully removed all the fat/grizzle from the sides , then cut the cold steaks ( right out of the refit ) in 1/2

as its easier to put the steaks on their sides for slicing thinly.  the cut surfaces is flat and works well

a sharp knife is nice here

i let the steaks come up to room temp naturally before i make the sandwich.

no fishy aroma after SV.   just FS and nothing else has worked for me , but Id be interested in thoughts on this.

the steaks were so good I didn't want to fiddle

thinking about s lilght dusting of Penzey's granulated garlic after the 2 days in the refit some day.

I did 16 whole steaks total (  32 1/2 units ) and have has about 8 - 9 so far for sandwiches.

love to see what you do and how they turn out.