• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

23 hours ago, jedovaty said:

It might be to kill the bugs/weevils.

Hi there, to explain my comment: I recently purchased flour in bulk, and researched how to store it.  I've had issues in the past, even with air-tight containers, in that bugs (I guess they are called weevils?) infesting the flour after 6 months or so.  It seems this can happen with other grains, too, such as rice, though I've not had that problem.  Research suggested freezing for various periods of time if not until ready for use, depending on size of the container.  Other suggestions included adding bay leaves to the containers, vac sealing, etc.

So perhaps the suggestion to freeze includes this in addition to possible spoilage.  I wonder how they would respond if someone contacted them asking why they instruct it.

jedovaty

jedovaty

23 hours ago, jedovaty said:

It might be to kill the bugs/weevils.

Hi there, to explain my comment: I recently purchased flour in bulk, and researched how to store it.  I've had issues in the past, even with air-tight containers, in that bugs (I guess they are called weevils?) infesting the flour after 6 months or so.  It seems this can happen with other grains, too, such as rice, though I've not had that problem.  Research suggested freezing for various periods of time if not until ready for use, depending on size of the container.  Other suggestions included adding bay leaves to the containers, vac sealing, etc.