• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

2 hours ago, boilsover said:

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the idea of a Tutove that it better puts the butter throughout the dough in the fewest "turns"?  It would seem to me that the grooves/humps of this pin would do that better in 4 "turns" that the same number with a smooth pin.  I can visualize the latter as being like roll-formed Damascus steel, and the former like raindrop or wave Damascus.

What do I have wrong here?  Has anyone here actually used a Tutove?

I have known several chefs, French, German, Swiss and my friend of many years who was a pastry chef at the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena.  I never saw one use a tutove, although they may have done when I was not around. Henri used a regular wood pin for all the preliminary work and for the final roll-out, he had a huge heavy steel pin.  

The main thing is, if it works for YOU that's great!  Anything like this should be personal preference.  Just like knives, or skillets, or whatever.  If you like something and it makes your cooking and baking experience better, then that is why we have a million different things.  Something for everyone.

I like my cheap "bread" knives because they work for me.  I have a homemade French pin (as well as a few other pins) and I don't care if other people want something different, that is THEIR choice.  And it's good.

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the idea of a Tutove that it better puts the butter throughout the dough in the fewest "turns"?  It would seem to me that the grooves/humps of this pin would do that better in 4 "turns" that the same number with a smooth pin.  I can visualize the latter as being like roll-formed Damascus steel, and the former like raindrop or wave Damascus.

What do I have wrong here?  Has anyone here actually used a Tutove?

I have known several chefs, French, German, Swiss and my friend of many years who was a pastry chef at the Huntington Hotel in Pasadena.  I never saw one use a tutove, although they may have done when I was not around. Henri used a regular wood pin for all the preliminary work and for the final roll-out, he had a huge heavy steel pin.