• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add book link

14 hours ago, kayb said:

That is a lovely thing. As one who can very nearly eat her weight in a pissaladiere, I suspect this would be a real pig-out for me. 

All the more reason to try it.

It is a very tasty thing as is and will be fun to play with - maybe add some kalamata olives, or diced pear and brie, or little cubes of roasted squash and blue cheese or.....

I can say the leftovers (should you have any :D) are good at room temp or rewarmed in the CSO - I did one slice for 3 min on steam-bake @ 350°F to warm it nicely.

Last night's dinner was the Cauliflower Ragu from Six Seasons p 189.  Or, since I failed to follow the recipe WRT cooking times, it was a variation on the Cauliflower Ragu.  It was very good and I would make it again.  

I like the concept of cooking most of the cauliflower with onions, garlic, red chile,  white wine and rosemary until it becomes a sauce.  The rest of the cauliflower is added later and cooked until very tender, at which point, the pasta is added and finished with butter, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.  

IMG_6937.thumb.jpg.ef839d5d4fb9f5476c5f62823479d13e.jpg

The saga of my failure to follow directions:  I chopped the onion, cauliflower and cauliflower leaves, heated the olive oil and tossed in the smashed garlic and red chile flakes.  Then I went to get the "unoaked white wine."  Hmmm.  I have a lot of wine on hand but not much white.  I found a lightly oaked Chardonnay and some Champagne, both fairly expensive bottles and neither of which were what I wanted to drink with this.  The pinot noir I planned to drink would have turned the cauliflower pink and I wasn't sure how it would fare during the fairly long cooking time. I have both vermouth and sherry on hand but didn't like the idea of either in this dish.  I finally settled on a dry rosé.  I figured 1/2 cup of rosé probably wouldn't impart all that much color to all that cauliflower.  By the time I returned to the kitchen, the garlic and chile flakes were looking awfully dark so I pitched them and started again.  Once everything was in the pan, I adjusted the heat to a low simmer and flounced off to the other room with a glass of chilled rosé and a tiny wedge of yesterday's onion tart and dove into the recently published "France is a Feast" featuring the photographs of Paul Child.  Sigh....what beautiful photography!  Sigh....what is that delicious aroma of deeply caramelized onions?  Sigh....am in in France?  Oops!  I was supposed to be popping into the kitchen occasionally to stir the cauliflower while it cooked for about 25 minutes.  It is now almost an hour since I set everything to simmer :(!   

I investigate and find that thanks to a nice heavy bottom pan and a low simmer setting, the onions are nicely caramelized and any cauliflower touching the bottom has turned a nice golden brown but nothing tastes or smells burned.  

So I continue and the dish ends up tasting delicious.  It's much more of a brown color than the recipe in the book but still has the almost disintegrated cauliflower sauce with more tender cauliflower.  

Someday, I'll try it again per the recipe. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

13 hours ago, kayb said:

That is a lovely thing. As one who can very nearly eat her weight in a pissaladiere, I suspect this would be a real pig-out for me. 

All the more reason to try it.

It is a very tasty thing as is and will be fun to play with - maybe add some kalamata olives, or diced pear and brie, or little cubes of roasted squash and blue cheese or.....

I can say the leftovers (should you have any :D) are good at room temp or rewarmed in the CSO - I did one slice for 3 min on steam-bake @ 350°F to warm it nicely.

Last night's dinner was the Cauliflower Ragu from Six Seasons p 189.  Or, since I failed to follow the recipe WRT cooking times, it was a variation on the Cauliflower Ragu.  It was very good and I would make it again.  

I like the concept of cooking most of the cauliflower with onions, garlic, red chile,  white wine and rosemary until it becomes a sauce.  The rest of the cauliflower is added later and cooked until very tender, at which point, the pasta is added and finished with butter, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.  

IMG_6937.thumb.jpg.ef839d5d4fb9f5476c5f62823479d13e.jpg

The saga of my failure to follow directions:  I chopped the onion, cauliflower and cauliflower leaves, heated the olive oil and tossed in the smashed garlic and red chile flakes.  Then I went to get the "unoaked white wine."  Hmmm.  I have a lot of wine on hand but not much white.  I found a lightly oaked Chardonnay and some Champagne, both fairly expensive bottles and neither of which were what I wanted to drink with this.  The pinot noir I planned to drink would have turned the cauliflower pink and I wasn't sure how it would fare during the fairly long cooking time. I have both vermouth and sherry on hand but didn't like the idea of either in this dish.  I finally settled on a dry rosé.  I figured 1/2 cup of rosé probably wouldn't impart all that much color to all that cauliflower.  By the time I returned to the kitchen, the garlic and chile flakes were looking awfully dark so I pitched them and started again.  Once everything was in the pan, I adjusted the heat to a low simmer and flounced off to the other room with a glass of chilled rosé and a tiny wedge of yesterday's onion tart and dove into the recently published "France is a Feast" featuring the photographs of Paul Child.  Sigh....what beautiful photography!  Sigh....what is that delicious aroma of deeply caramelized onions?  Sigh....am in in France?  Oops!  I was supposed to be popping into the kitchen occasionally to stir the cauliflower while it cooked for about 25 minutes.  It is now almost an hour since I set everything to simmer :(!   

I investigate and find that thanks to a nice heavy bottom pan and a low simmer setting, the onions are nicely caramelized and any cauliflower touching the bottom has turned a nice golden brown but nothing tastes or smells burned.  

So I continue and the dish ends up tasting delicious.  It's much more of a brown color than the recipe in the book but still has the almost disintegrated cauliflower sauce with more tender cauliflower.  

Someday, I'll try it again per the recipe.