• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

16 hours ago, boilsover said:

Any bets on weight differences after 6 hours?  I'm not adding green dye to prime beef sorry.  You'll have to trust/excuse me reporting any taste differences.

So, after 6 hours, the tray-marinated tritip weighed 1/4 oz more.  The vacuum one added just shy of 1/2 oz.  This is consistent with the Young & Smith 2004 chicken study.   I couldn't taste a difference, and I did not weigh after cooking.

I'm duplicating the test today with Jaccarded identical 7 1/4 oz triptips, one in the tray and one under vacuum.

Eating prime beef for science...  I hope you all appreciate my sacrifice...

boilsover

boilsover

Any bets on weight differences after 6 hours?  I'm not adding green dye to prime beef sorry.  You'll have to trust/excuse me reporting any taste differences.

So, after 6 hours, the tray-marinated tritip weighed 1/4 oz more.  The vacuum one added just shy of 1/2 oz.  I couldn't taste a difference.

I'm duplicating the test today with Jaccarded identical 7 1/4 oz triptips, one in the tray and one under vacuum.

Eating prime beef for science...  I hope you all appreciate my sacrifice...

boilsover

boilsover

So, after 6 hours, the tray-marinated tritip weighed 1/4 oz more.  The vacuum one added just shy of 1/2 oz.  I couldn't taste a difference.

I'm duplicating the test today with Jaccarded identical 7 1/4 oz triptips, one in the tray and one under vacuum..