• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

Unless cooking a big bunch of steaks I don't do SV because the pan sear and low oven works great for me.

I sear in an unoiled steel pan that is blazing hot or a big steel flat top.30 sec per side maybe.

I find that steak has a different bite when cooked SV. Because there's no gradient in doneness there is not much sense of chew at MR  temps eg 125. It tastes undone to me. So I will up the SV temp to 128 or so and it makes a difference.

SV tri tip done thusly

5a386ad12c1e8_001(7).thumb.jpg.1d62e967562eb41c001f67a5ee15e389.jpg

gfweb

gfweb

Unless cooking a big bunch of steaks I don't do SV because the pan sear and low oven works great for me.

I sear in an unoiled steel pan that is blazing hot or a big steel flat top.30 sec per side maybe.

I find that steak has a different bite when cooked SV. Because there's no gradient in doneness there is not much sense of chew at MR  temps eg 125. It tastes undone to me. So I will up the SV temp to 128 or so and it makes a difference.