• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Ordering a (blue) rare steak in AR (Argentina) and CL (Chile) and getting it the way you want is a matter of luck. Doesn't matter how much you stress how you prefer it done half the time it comes out medium or worse. South Americans prefer other cuts of meat so the tender parts are perfect for tourists. These are typical cuts Argentinians prefer for their assado: Bavette/flank/skirt/picanha/tail of rump steaks, short ribs and so on. They start an assado with offal, then move on to the cuts.

When I go that way again I will be carrying this photo of steak doneness with me to show them when ordering. Had the same experience in Namibia.

HKXsIW7.jpg

I like AR empanadas, especially "caprese" (filled with chopped fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil). Couldn't stomach their beloved "medialunas" and bread with dulce de leche for breakfast. It's hell for someone who hates sugar.

My AR breakfast:

1hyEo2k.jpg

There's a craft beer scene in BA but the pubs tend to open in the evening only. Quality and selection could be better now.

If you are not going to AR Patagonia anytime soon maybe you want to try Patagonian lamb in BA. I ate my fill on both sides of Patagonia and thought it was one of the best (second to Texel, perhaps. Not sure).

BonVivant

BonVivant

Ordering a (blue) rare steak in AR (Argentina) and CL (Chile) and getting it the way you want is a matter of luck. Doesn't matter how much you stress how you prefer it done half the time it comes out medium or worse. South Americans prefer other cuts of meat so the tender parts are perfect for tourists. These are typical cuts Argentinians prefer for their assado: Bavette/flank/skirt/tri-tip/tail of rump steaks short ribs and so on. They start an assado with offal, then move on to the cuts.

When I go that way again I will be carrying this photo of steak doneness with me to show them when ordering. Had the same experience in Namibia.

HKXsIW7.jpg

I like AR empanadas, especially "caprese" (filled with chopped fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil). Couldn't stomach their beloved "medialunas" and bread with dulce de leche for breakfast. It's hell for someone who hates sugar.

My AR breakfast:

1hyEo2k.jpg

There's a craft beer scene in BA but the pubs tend to open in the evening only. Quality and selection could be better now.

If you are not going to AR Patagonia anytime soon maybe you want to try Patagonian lamb in BA. I ate my fill on both sides of Patagonia and thought it was one of the best (second to Texel, perhaps. Not sure).

BonVivant

BonVivant

Ordering a (blue) rare steak in AR (Argentina) and CL (Chile) and getting it the way you want is a matter of luck. Doesn't matter how much you stress how you prefer it done half the time it comes out medium or worse. South Americans prefer other cuts of meat so the tender parts are perfect for tourists. These are typical cuts Argentinians prefer for their assado: Bavette/flank/skirt/tri-tip/tail of rump steaks and so on. They start an assado with offal, then move on to the cuts.

HKXsIW7.jpg

My AR breakfast:

1hyEo2k.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Ordering a (blue) rare steak in AR (Argentina) and CL (Chile) is a matter of luck. Doesn't matter how much you stress how you prefer it done half the time it comes out medium or worse. South Americans prefer other cuts of meat so the tender parts are perfect for tourists. These are typical cuts Argentinians prefer for their assado: Bavette/flank/skirt/tri-tip/tail of rump steaks and so on. They start an assado with offal, then move on to the cuts.

HKXsIW7.jpg

My AR breakfast:

1hyEo2k.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Ordering a (blue) rare steak in AR (Argentina) and CL (Chile) is a matter of luck. Doesn't matter how much you stress how you prefer it done half the time it comes out medium or worse. South Americans prefer other cuts of meat so the tender parts are perfect for tourists. These are typical cuts Argentinians prefer for their assado: Bavette/flank/skirt/tri-tip/tail of rump steaks and so on. They start an assado with offal, then move on to the cuts.

HKXsIW7.jpg

My AR breakfast:

1hyEo2k.jpg

There's a craft beer scene in BA but the pubs tend to open in the evening only. Maybe the quality and selection is better now.

If you are not going to AR Patagonia anytime soon maybe you want to try Patagonian lamb in BA. I ate my fill on both sides of Patagonia and thought it was one of the best (maybe second to Texel).