• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

clarification

23 hours ago, boilsover said:

Sorry, not feeling the love for a 10-position 1500W unit that only has additional features through a phone app.  I mean, seriously, they can't put a rudimentary display/controls on this?

I think I'll wait for Vollrath to do a center-thermocouple-with-PID version of the Mirage Pro.

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package; the fit and finish is better than other cheap induction burners I've used. And you can buy both a One Top and an iPod Touch for less than the price of the standard version of the Vollrath (and I suspect a smart version would cost something closer to the Breville)

I am hopeful that someone will reverse engineer the Bluetooth protocol so that third-party apps and devices can control the unit -- for future proofing if nothing else.

dtremit

dtremit

23 hours ago, boilsover said:

Sorry, not feeling the love for a 10-position 1500W unit that only has additional features through a phone app.  I mean, seriously, they can't put a rudimentary display/controls on this?

I think I'll wait for Vollrath to do a center-thermocouple-with-PID version of the Mirage Pro.

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package; the fit and finish is better than other cheap induction burners I've used. And you can buy both a One Top and an iPod Touch for less than the price of the standard version of the Vollrath, and I suspect a smart version would cost something closer to the Breville.

I am hopeful that someone will reverse engineer the Bluetooth protocol so that third-party apps and devices can control the unit -- for future proofing if nothing else.

dtremit

dtremit

22 hours ago, boilsover said:

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package. You can buy both a One Top and an iPod Touch for less than the price of the standard version of the Vollrath, and I suspect a smart version would cost something closer to the Breville.