• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

clarification

23 hours ago, boilsover said:

Sorry, not feeling the love for a 10-position 1500W unit that only has additional features through a phone app.  I mean, seriously, they can't put a rudimentary display/controls on this?

I think I'll wait for Vollrath to do a center-thermocouple-with-PID version of the Mirage Pro.

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package; the fit and finish is better than other cheap induction burners I've used. And you can buy both a One Top and an iPod Touch for less than the price of the standard version of the Vollrath (and I suspect a smart version would cost something closer to the Breville)

I am hopeful that someone will reverse engineer the Bluetooth protocol so that third-party apps and devices can control the unit -- for future proofing if nothing else.

dtremit

dtremit

23 hours ago, boilsover said:

Sorry, not feeling the love for a 10-position 1500W unit that only has additional features through a phone app.  I mean, seriously, they can't put a rudimentary display/controls on this?

I think I'll wait for Vollrath to do a center-thermocouple-with-PID version of the Mirage Pro.

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package; the fit and finish is better than other cheap induction burners I've used. And you can buy both a One Top and an iPod Touch for less than the price of the standard version of the Vollrath, and I suspect a smart version would cost something closer to the Breville.

I am hopeful that someone will reverse engineer the Bluetooth protocol so that third-party apps and devices can control the unit -- for future proofing if nothing else.

dtremit

dtremit

22 hours ago, boilsover said:

The thing is $150 -- given that, I think it's a pretty impressive package. You can buy both a One Top and an iPod Touch for less than the price of the standard version of the Vollrath, and I suspect a smart version would cost something closer to the Breville.