• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

I do it for big special meals, not so much for everyday meals. That said, there are things i enjoy using where I prep a quantity in advance and then freeze it. I make various vegetable stocks and freeze then vacuum seal in cup and quart sized bricks. I make spaghetti sauce and freeze it in 4oz and 8oz chunks. I make tomato soup and freeze it in 8 oz blocks. If I make rice for dinner, I make a couple of extra portions for the freezer. I make a large pot of onion confit and store it in smaller portions in both the fridge and freezer. I don't usually prep vegetables in advance unless I accidentally make too much for a dish and save it for later.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

I do it for big special meals, not so much for everyday meals. That said, there are things i enjoy using where I prep a quantity in advance and then freeze it. I make various vegetable stocks and freeze then vacuum seal in cup and quart sized bricks. I make spaghetti sauce and freeze it in 4oz and 8oz chunks. I make tomato soup and freeze it in 8 oz blocks. If I make rice for dinner, I make a couple of extra portions for the freezer. I don't usually prep vegetables in advance unless I accidentally make too much for a dish and save it for later.