• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

5 hours ago, btbyrd said:

As the head detective in charge of the Logic Unit of the Steak Police, I do want to register a few complaints about your post.

So you're copping to being the steak police, huh?  As long as your body cam doesn't mysteriously malfunction, I think we'll be fine :)

Seriously, though, if you really want to split this many hairs, okay... let's start splitting

First of all, you're overlooking an absolutely critical aspect of the protein denaturation equation. Fat.  In lean meat, sure, protein molecules will latch on to each other and squeeze the liquid out, but, just like wheat protein molecules have trouble latching onto each other in fatty pastry crust, muscle fibers have issues latching on to each other in fatty meat. Less cross linking = weaker bonds = less water loss. Well marbled steak, when cooked until well done, is still very tender, succulent and juicy.

Secondly, how, exactly, did you become the arbiter of 'normal' marbling?   Was that part of your training at the academy? ;)  I would think, that, within these walls, when the topic of steak is brought it up, unless cost is specifically mentioned, it's in the context of 'good' steak, the context of well marbled steak. Is well marbled steak hard to find? Absolutely.  But just because it's difficult to source doesn't mean that all steak related discussions should only focus on typically inferior supermarket fare.

Third, the ribeye cap that I linked to wasn't Wagyu.  Just about all ribeye caps have that level of marbling, even in choice meat. In your typical ribeye, the cap will only be a small fraction of the entire steak.  I'm not presenting ribeye cap as being typical or in the slightest bit common.  I'm only using it as an example to show how incredibly delicious well done extremely well marbled steak can be.  Once someone has tasted well done cap, any stigma they might attach to well done well marbled steak will be obliterated, as it was for me.

Fourth, this isn't about my own personal taste.  Cook a ribeye cap, any ribeye cap, well done, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't do backflips after tasting it. When you move towards the leaner end of the spectrum, towards well marbled rather than extremely well marbled, the appeal will be less universal in comparison to medium rare, but it will still have it's adherents.  And this group will consist of far more food aficionados than one or two odd ducks.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see 3 out 10 people prefer well done well marbled meat in a double blind setting.

Fifth, have you ever pan fried brisket?  If it's fatty enough, it fries up beautifully.  Does connective tissue/collagen play a part in the burnt end equation? Of course.  But I guarantee you that the lion's share of what makes people go so incredibly nuts over burnt ends relates directly to the fact that the ends of brisket tend to be the fattiest.

When all is said and done, none of this hair splitting is all that relevant. I'm not the one looking down my nose at fellow food lovers. I'm not the one calling anyone names- in seriousness or in jest.  To make my case, I don't have to prove that well done steak is always comparable to less cooked steak.  It obviously isn't in every instance. All I have to prove is that, depending on the fat content, well done steak can be phenomenal, and that, if the food snobs could actually taste a well done well marbled steak, I'm not saying that they'd prefer it, but they'd see enough value in it to end the derision.

scott123

scott123

4 hours ago, btbyrd said:

My "barbarian" comment was tongue in cheek, but I stand by the sentiment that cooking "normal" steak cuts of normal marbling scores (choice or prime; strip, ribeye, filet, sirloin, etc.) beyond medium significantly diminishes their quality by causing the proteins to constrict too much, which both squeezes out moisture and makes the fibers tougher. Maybe you like that. I prefer it in some dishes, such as those where the steak is shaved thin and then used for stir-fry or sandwiches. But then we're no longer talking about eating "a steak." When it comes to actual steak-eating, my preferences -- like most of my comrades in The Steak Police -- is for meat that hasn't been so denatured that it toughens and lose its juice.

As the head detective in charge of the Logic Unit of the Steak Police, I do want to register a few complaints about your post.

And you may do a perfectly excellent job. It's all a matter of taste, remember.

So you're copping to being the steak police, huh?  As long as your body cam doesn't mysteriously malfunction, I think we'll be fine :)

Seriously, though, if you really want to split this many hairs, okay... let's start splitting

First of all, you're overlooking an absolutely critical aspect of the protein denaturation equation. Fat.  In lean meat, sure, protein molecules will latch on to each other and squeeze the liquid out, but, just like wheat protein molecules have trouble latching onto each other in fatty pastry crust, muscle fibers have issues latching on to each other in fatty meat. Less cross linking = weaker bonds = less water loss. Well marbled steak, when cooked until well done, is still very tender, succulent and juicy.

Secondly, how, exactly, did you become the arbiter of 'normal' marbling?   Was that part of your training at the academy? ;)  I would think, that, within these walls, when the topic of steak is brought it up, unless cost is specifically mentioned, it's in the context of 'good' steak, the context of well marbled steak. Is well marbled steak hard to find? Absolutely.  But just because it's difficult to source doesn't mean that all steak related discussions should only focus on typically inferior supermarket fare.

Third, the ribeye cap that I linked to wasn't Wagyu.  Just about all ribeye caps have that level of marbling, even in choice meat. In your typical ribeye, the cap will only be a small fraction of the entire steak.  I'm not presenting ribeye cap as being typical or in the slightest bit common.  I'm only using it as an example to show how incredibly delicious well done extremely well marbled steak can be.  Once someone has tasted well done cap, any stigma they might attach to well done well marbled steak will be obliterated, as it was for me.

Fourth, this isn't about my own personal taste.  Cook a ribeye cap, any ribeye cap, well done, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't do backflips after tasting it. When you move towards the leaner end of the spectrum, towards well marbled rather than extremely well marbled, the appeal will be less universal in comparison to medium rare, but it will still have it's adherents.  And this group will consist of far more food aficionados than one or two odd ducks.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see 3 out 10 people prefer well done well marbled meat in a double blind setting.

Fifth, have you ever pan fried brisket?  If it's fatty enough, it fries up beautifully.  Does connective tissue/collagen play a part in the burnt end equation? Of course.  But I guarantee you that the lion's share of what makes people go so incredibly nuts over burnt ends relates directly to the fact that the ends of brisket tend to be the fattiest.

When all is said and done, none of this hair splitting is all that relevant. I'm not the one looking down my nose at fellow food lovers. I'm not the one calling anyone names- in seriousness or in jest.  To make my case, I don't have to prove that well done steak is always comparable to less cooked steak.  It obviously isn't in every instance. All I have to prove is that, depending on the fat content, well done steak can be phenomenal, and that, if the food snobs could actually taste a well done well marbled steak, I'm not saying that they'd prefer it, but they'd see enough value in it to end the derision.