• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

forgot to insert image. duh!

I am not a baker. I have recently started bread, but am still very much a neophyte.

Today, I found myself with a surplus of bananas and decided to try making some "banana bread". I don't consider it to be bread at all, but rather, cake.

Whatever, I found a recipe that sounded like something I could handle, bought what I didn't have and set to work. The kitchen smells great and something cake like has emerged from the oven. It doesn't matter at all - I will be the only one eating it - but, as you can see it is rather cracked on top.

banana bread.jpg

I'm just wondering what caused that and what I should do in future if I feel the need to create a perfect un-cracked cake. I'm sure some of you master bakers know the answer.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I am not a baker. I have recently started bread, but am still very much a neophyte.

Today, I found myself with a surplus of bananas and decided to try making some "banana bread". I don't consider it to be bread at all, but rather, cake.

Whatever, I found a recipe that sounded like something I could handle, bought what I didn't have and set to work. The kitchen smells great and something cake like has emerged from the oven. It doesn't matter at all - I will be the only one eating it - but, as you can see it is rather cracked on top.

I'm just wondering what caused that and what I should do in future if I feel the need to create a perfect un-cracked cake. I'm sure some of you master bakers know the answer.