• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

So I've got a question for you who have interned, or are hosting an intern ..... today, our intern mentioned she'd *never* do an unpaid internship, a comment I found amusing (the discussion was about whether a certain extraordinary and supremely talented baker pays interns).  It was amusing to me because clearly the intern had no idea how many, and how much, the intern's mistakes were costing me.  Or how confounded I am, that despite me saying I wanted regular check ins, I find stuff partially done and I have to step in and try to salvage whatever's been done thus far.  I am not someone who yells (that doesn't help anyone and just adds tension to the kitchen) so usually I just lean in and use a low voice to go over it. Again.  The intern is coming along nicely and I do plan to offer an entry level position when graduation happens, but I'm just bemused that as an intern, you have no freaking clue what you don't know and yet you think your internship (the last semester of culinary school, I'm not talking about a stage) should be paid. (I don't want to be snarky here, but I want to add: Because you're bringing so much to the table with you? Your productivity is equal to that of people with more years of experience? Let me pay you to make mistakes?)

ETA: the question - are you paying your culinary student intern? Did you get paid as a culinary intern?

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

So I've got a question for you who have interned, or are hosting an intern ..... today, our intern mentioned she'd *never* do an unpaid internship, a comment I found amusing (the discussion was about whether a certain extraordinary and supremely talented baker pays interns).  It was amusing to me because clearly the intern had no idea how many, and how much, the intern's mistakes were costing me.  Or how confounded I am, that despite me saying I wanted regular check ins, I find stuff partially done and I have to step in and try to salvage whatever's been done thus far.  I am not someone who yells (that doesn't help anyone and just adds tension to the kitchen) so usually I just lean in and use a low voice to go over it. Again.  The intern is coming along nicely and I do plan to offer an entry level position when graduation happens, but I'm just bemused that as an intern, you have no freaking clue what you don't know and yet you think your internship (the last semester of culinary school, I'm not talking about a stage) should be paid. (I don't want to be snarky here, but I want to add: Because you're bringing so much to the table with you? Your productivity is equal to that of people with more years of experience? Let me pay you to make mistakes?)