• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add link to recipes

I posted this meal over in the schnitzel topic but since two of the dishes are from Deep Run Roots, I thought I'd add it here as well.

Vivian serves these two sides,  Apple Mustard and Charred Cabbage Apple Slaw p 503 with whole trout.  Recipe are available online at this link. I had some whole fish caught by friends that I planned to use here but I decided they would be better companions to some pork.  They'd also be good with chicken.

IMG_7219.thumb.jpg.38afae903e6533bb5e3af5226b09959c.jpg
The Apple Mustard is a kicked up apple butter.  I posted about it above as Vivian also recommends it as a condiment with the sausage balls.   I highly recommend it. The recipe calls for a modest amount of dijon mustard.  I might up that or add some dry mustard to increase  the mustard flavor but it's very nice as is.

I'm glad I tried the charred cabbage slaw. It's got an interesting mix of flavors and textures.  The the charred edges are pleasantly sweet and the rest of the cabbage is partially cooked but not completely tender.  That's going to vary depending on how hot your pan is (she says "medium high") and how thick the wedges are.  The red onions are lightly pickled in a mix of apple cider vinegar and honey that dresses the salad at the end.  I'm not sure I'd make it again - certainly not for a crowd as it's a bit of a nuisance to char all that cabbage - and I don't think it looks all that attractive.  Still, it was a good side dish for the pork.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I posted this meal over in the schnitzel topic but since two of the dishes are from Deep Run Roots, I thought I'd add it here as well.

Vivian serves these two sides,  Apple Mustard and Charred Cabbage Apple Slaw p 503 with whole trout.  I had some whole fish caught by friends that I planned to use here but I decided they would be better companions to some pork.  They'd also be good with chicken.

IMG_7219.thumb.jpg.38afae903e6533bb5e3af5226b09959c.jpg
The Apple Mustard is a kicked up apple butter.  I posted about it above as Vivian also recommends it as a condiment with the sausage balls.   I highly recommend it. The recipe calls for a modest amount of dijon mustard.  I might up that or add some dry mustard to increase  the mustard flavor but it's very nice as is.

I'm glad I tried the charred cabbage slaw. It's got an interesting mix of flavors and textures.  The the charred edges are pleasantly sweet and the rest of the cabbage is partially cooked but not completely tender.  That's going to vary depending on how hot your pan is (she says "medium high") and how thick the wedges are.  The red onions are lightly pickled in a mix of apple cider vinegar and honey that dresses the salad at the end.  I'm not sure I'd make it again - certainly not for a crowd as it's a bit of a nuisance to char all that cabbage - and I don't think it looks all that attractive.  Still, it was a good side dish for the pork.