• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

4 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

You might get a carbonized mess but you're extremely unlikely to get a fire. Properly operated, a pressure cooker should vent out all the oxygen and be filled with water vapor only. Since there's no other oxidizer present, a fire is impossible to start under any circumstance. Even improperly operated, the amount of oxygen inside the pressure cooker isn't enough to combust and there's no way for further oxygen to get in. 

People don't realize, you can drop a lit match into a can of gasoline and the match will go out because there isn't enough oxygen in the can to form combustion. About the only conceivable way I could imagine you could start a fire with a pressure cooker is if you were boiling something with a high alcohol content with an old school jiggle top style pressure cooker on a gas stove and you somehow bumped it sideways so the jiggle top fell off and it started venting gas directly into the flame. 

Your points are valid, under normal situations.

I had made it very simple when I said a fire could happen. 

Many of us have experienced the mess when a PC erupts with contents sprayed all over in the kitchen. The problem is if the spray is mostly atomized oil/fat, then, as we know, atomized oil/fat in air can be explosive. For that reason, no PC manufacturer advises using the PC to pressure fry food.

BTW, don't try the match in a gas tank trick.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

3 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

You might get a carbonized mess but you're extremely unlikely to get a fire. Properly operated, a pressure cooker should vent out all the oxygen and be filled with water vapor only. Since there's no other oxidizer present, a fire is impossible to start under any circumstance. Even improperly operated, the amount of oxygen inside the pressure cooker isn't enough to combust and there's no way for further oxygen to get in. 

People don't realize, you can drop a lit match into a can of gasoline and the match will go out because there isn't enough oxygen in the can to form combustion. About the only conceivable way I could imagine you could start a fire with a pressure cooker is if you were boiling something with a high alcohol content with an old school jiggle top style pressure cooker on a gas stove and you somehow bumped it sideways so the jiggle top fell off and it started venting gas directly into the flame. 

Your points are valid, under normal situations.

I had made it very simple when I said a fire could happen. 

Many of us have experienced the mess when a PC erupts with contents sprayed all over in the kitchen. The problem is if the spray is mostly atomized oil/fat, then, as we know, atomized oil/fat in air can be explosive. For that reason, no PC manufacturer advises using the PC to pressure fry food.

dcarch