• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

8 hours ago, btbyrd said:

That sucks about the missing mounting screw. Glad you got that sorted! As for the TS8000 issue, it's been no secret that the TS8000 is the preferred torch head for the Searzall. The product description on both Amazon and the B&D website only list the TS8000 as the compatible torch head; it's not until you look through the manual or FAQ that the TS4000 is even mentioned. On the original Kickstarter page for the Searzall, they included a video demonstration comparing various torch heads and fuels so you can see (in real time) how much faster the TS8000 is compared to the TS4000. An interesting finding of that comparison test was that MAPP offered no real benefit on the TS8000, but sped things up considerably on the TS4000. At any rate, both Bernzomatic torches are sold as being compatible with both MAPP and propane, and the TS8000 is the #1 selling torch head on Amazon. MAPP isn't suggesed with the Searzall, but that's mostly because the MAPP canisters are smaller and the Searzall makes them tip over. 

Well, they kept it a secret from me.  Already having a TS4000, I checked and verified compatibility.  Nowhere I could find--until the instruction sheet arrived with the unit--any mention that the TS4000 was considered "Not nearly as powerful" [as the TS8000].  Or the helpful fact that the output was <1/2.

To not include the same information on the Booker & Dax website and on the Amazon page is simply irresponsible.  They will end up snookering me (and others) into paying twice the asking price to make it function as advertised.  Considering the attention to minutae on ike jime and other of Dave's endeavors, this is pretty sloppy.

Still haven't heard from them about the missing piece, but judging by the Searzall "Forum", the issue and lack of response is not atypical.

Oh, and what open secret is there about what flame adjustment to set on the TS8000 when it arrives?

boilsover

boilsover

That sucks about the missing mounting screw. Glad you got that sorted! As for the TS8000 issue, it's been no secret that the TS8000 is the preferred torch head for the Searzall. The product description on both Amazon and the B&D website only list the TS8000 as the compatible torch head; it's not until you look through the manual or FAQ that the TS4000 is even mentioned. On the original Kickstarter page for the Searzall, they included a video demonstration comparing various torch heads and fuels so you can see (in real time) how much faster the TS8000 is compared to the TS4000. An interesting finding of that comparison test was that MAPP offered no real benefit on the TS8000, but sped things up considerably on the TS4000. At any rate, both Bernzomatic torches are sold as being compatible with both MAPP and propane, and the TS8000 is the #1 selling torch head on Amazon. MAPP isn't suggesed with the Searzall, but that's mostly because the MAPP canisters are smaller and the Searzall makes them tip over. 

Well, they kept it a secret from me.  Already having a TS4000, I checked and verified compatibility.  Nowhere I could find--until the instruction sheet arrived with the unit--any mention that the TS4000 was considered "Not nearly as powerful" [as the TS8000].  Or the helpful fact that the output was <1/2.

To not include the same information on the Booker & Dax website and on the Amazon page is simply irresponsible.  They will end up snookering me (and others) into paying twice the asking price to make it function as advertised.  Considering the attention to minutae on ike jime and other of Dave's endeavors, this is pretty sloppy.

Still haven't heard from them about the missing piece, but judging by the Searzall "Forum", the issue and lack of response is not atypical.

boilsover

boilsover

To not include the same information on the Booker & Dax website and on the Amazon page is simply irresponsible.  They will end up snookering me (and others) into paying twice the asking price to make it function as advertised.