• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As reported in the dinner thread...

The Bell & Evans chicken half was air dried 26 hours in the blast chiller, then cooked "sous vide" 5 hours at 63C.  Finished 10 minutes at 250C.  Perfect skin and flesh.  One can only eat so much, thus I have yet to form an opinion of the breast meat.

Comments on the anova site for this recipe said the meat was bloody on the bone.  I had no such issue.

This is what I really like about these ovens. It took 31 hours and 10 minutes (if my addition is correct) in order to get your chicken dinner on the plate.

Last night, at 4:30, I decided we should eat the chicken, still in its original package in the fridge, for dinner.   I cut it up, the back and wing tips went into the freezer for future stock, the rest onto a sheet pan, rubbed it with fat, seasoned it, popped it into a 400℉ (the big) oven (on convection) for 40 minutes (removed the breast at 25 minutes), and we were eating dinner at 6:30.

Perfect skin and flesh, too.

Don't read the comments.

weinoo

weinoo

The Bell & Evans chicken half was air dried 26 hours in the blast chiller, then cooked "sous vide" 5 hours at 63C.  Finished 10 minutes at 250C.  Perfect skin and flesh.  One can only eat so much, thus I have yet to form an opinion of the breast meat.

Comments on the anova site for this recipe said the meat was bloody on the bone.  I had no such issue.

This is what I really like about these ovens. It took 31 hours and 10 minutes (if my addition is correct) in order to get your chicken dinner on the plate.

Last night, at 4:30, I decided we should eat the chicken, still in its original package in the fridge, for dinner.   I cut it up, the back and wing tips went into the freezer for future stock, the rest onto a sheet pan, rubbed it with fat, seasoned it, popped it into a 400℉ (the big) oven for 40 minutes (removed the breast at 25 minutes), and we were eating dinner at 6:30.

Don't read the comments.

weinoo

weinoo

Last night, at 4:30, I decided we should eat the chicken, still in its original package in the fridge, for dinner.   I cut it up, the back and wing tips went into the freezer for future stock, the rest onto a sheet pan, rubbed it with fat, seasoned it, popped it into a 400℉ oven for 40 minutes (removed the breast at 25 minutes), and we were eating dinner at 6:30.

Don't read the comments.