• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon S

Jon S

To remove "update" confusion; typo

After returning my first APO because it wouldn't connect to my app, this second APO stopped being recognized all by my apps (iPhone & iPad) at the same exact time, all of a sudden about 6-8 months ago. It was a struggle to get it on the app, many hours of work for even me, an IT guy.

It has really limited my functionality and ease of use. I was originally on the fence to purchase due to the lack of control without the app. I have to have $600-$1200 remote (that constantly changes) essentially? Not to mention the possible security risk of it requiring to be connected to the internet on my home network to just to communicate to within 10-15 ft. I'd like to have the option to opt in to the network connection for this reason.

Additionally, I'd like to be able to opt out of this required connection to the internet because it is almost certain that an automatic background update caused the issue. I can't update my phone (and why should I if it works the way it is? Just like the app was.) 

If this APO hadn't been connected to the internet, it wouldn't have changed a thing, it'd be secure, and I'd still be able to fully utilized the functionality of a tool I paid over half a grand for.

I wish the consumer market had a countertop steam/combi oven that didn't NEED an app. God I wish this so much. Unfortunately that just isn't the case yet. :|

P.S. My background is in computer hardware and software & security of those. If I had the hardware and known this was going to be the case, I would have attempted to create a second home network isolated from the internet and see if connecting it to that would have worked. Granted, this "solution" would have caused me to pay for another endless energy bill that communication devices like routers and modems consume, and I'd have to get whatever device the app was on to switch wifi networks just to send commands or receive notifications during use, that means it'd be useless as an internet device for the duration of that use, i.e., it would ONLY be an ANOVA app device for the duration of each use.

Jon S

Jon S

To remove "update" confusion

After returning my first APO because it wouldn't connect to my app, this second APO stopped being recognized all by my apps (iPhone & iPad) at the same exact time, all of a sudden about 6-8 months ago. It was a struggle to get it on the app, many hours of work for even me, an IT guy.

It has really limited my functionality and ease of use. I was originally on the fence to purchase due to the lack of control without the app. I have to have $600-$1200 remote (that constantly changes) essentially? Not to mention the possible security risk of it requiring to be connected to the internet on my home network to just to communicate to within 10-15 ft. I'd like to have the option to opt in to the network connection for this reason.

Additionally, I'd like to be able to opt out of this required connection to the internet because it is almost certain that an automatic background update caused the issue. I can't update my phone (and why should I if it works the way it is? Just like the app was.) 

If this APO hadn't been connected to the internet, it wouldn't have changed a thing, it'd be secure, and I'd still be able to fully utilized the functionality of a tool I paid over half a grand for.

I wish the consumer market had a countertop steam/combi oven that didn't NEED an app. God I wish this so much. Unfortunately that just isn't the case yet. :|

P.S. My background is in computer hardware and software & security of those. If I had the hardware and known this was going to be the case, I would have attempted to create a second home network isolated from the internet and see if connecting it to that would have worked. Granted, this "solution" would have caused me to pay for another endless energy bill that communication devices like routers and modems consume, and I'd have to get whatever device the app was on to switch wifi networks just to send commands or receive notifications during use, that means it's be useless as an internet device for the duration of that use, i.e., it would ONLY be an ANOVA app device for the duration of each use.

Jon S

Jon S

P.S. My background is in computer hardware and software & security of those. If I had the hardware and known this was going to be the case, I would have attempted to create a second home network isolated from the internet and see if connecting it to that would have worked. Granted, this "solution" would have caused me to pay for another endless energy bill that communication devices like routers and modems consume, and I'd have to get whatever device the app was on to switch wifi networks just to send commands or receive updates, that means it's be useless as an internet device for the duration of that use, i.e., it would ONLY be an ANOVA app device for the duration of each use.