• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

With the caveat being that equipment here, using NYC water filtered via a Brita, never needs descaling. Or at least never appears to need descaling.

That's the CSO (first one 5 years) and the Silvia (over 10 years), as well as the inside of the kettle water gets boiled in for pour over coffee, which remain deposit free.

I recently tested the tap water in the new apartment with my TDS (total dissolved solids) meter (I use for my hydroponic garden) - it was 53ppm which is ridiculously low for unfiltered tap water. Yes, there's some chlorine in there but that's not a solid and will not create scale.  Normal household TDS is like 200-300ppm with some areas being even higher.  Some well water can be over 600ppm.  What's funny is that the tap water in the old apartment used to be this low, but for the last year or so there's been tons of construction in the area (water mains etc) and the TDS has been about 300 for a while now.  My new apartment is about a mile away from the old one.

KennethT

KennethT

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

With the caveat being that equipment here, using NYC water filtered via a Brita, never needs descaling. Or at least never appears to need descaling.

That's the CSO (first one 5 years) and the Silvia (over 10 years), as well as the inside of the kettle water gets boiled in for pour over coffee, which remain deposit free.

I recently tested my tap water in my new apartment with my TDS (total dissolved solids) meter (I use for my hydroponic garden) - it was 53ppm which is ridiculously low for unfiltered tap water. Yes, there's some chlorine in there but that's not a solid and will not create scale.  Normal household TDS is like 200-300ppm with some areas being even higher.  Some well water can be over 600ppm.  What's funny is that the tap water in the old apartment used to be this low, but for the last year or so there's been tons of construction in the area (water mains etc) and the TDS has been about 300 for a while now.  My new apartment is about a mile away from the old one.