• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

42 minutes ago, IANSTUART said:

I agree with Anna N. I have never had any problems with any utensils that hold a magnet. And it is not a question of "alloys". As long as the pots and pans will hold a magnet there will be enough eddy currents to heat them. I have found that le Creuset and imitations as well as cast iron pots and pans work perfectly with all of my induction devices. As I have mentioned earlier, and I have never heard of anybody having problems. It is certainly not a new technology,

Then explain the Wolf/Le Creuset phenomenon.  And why nickel-lined pans (which "grab" a magnet) do not work.

It surely is an issue with alloys, as some ferritic steels perform better than others--even though some "grab", and some do not.  The stainless alloy known as 430 is the default choice among manufacturers or both performance and detection.  A magnet test is only grossly useful.  And again, how well somethin "works" can be model specific.

As for "generations" of happy Euro induction users, all I can say is that I'd be fascinated to learn when you think the first home induction appliances were sold in Europe.  My understanding is that the first home unit actually sold anywhere were the Kenmore Model Number 103.9647910 introduced in the 1980s (and first in the US).    So "generations" is a bit of an exaggeration, and I can assure you not all Europeans are thrilled to be steered away from gas.  

boilsover

boilsover

34 minutes ago, IANSTUART said:

I agree with Anna N. I have never had any problems with any utensils that hold a magnet. And it is not a question of "alloys". As long as the pots and pans will hold a magnet there will be enough eddy currents to heat them. I have found that le Creuset and imitations as well as cast iron pots and pans work perfectly with all of my induction devices. As I have mentioned earlier, people have been using induction cooktops for generations in Europe and I have never heard of anybody having problems. It is certainly not a new technology,

Then explain the Wolf/Le Creuset phenomenon.  And why nickel-lined pans (which "grab" a magnet) do not work.

It surely is an issue with alloys, as some ferritic steels perform better than others--even though some "grab", and some do not.  The stainless alloy known as 430 is the default choice among manufacturers or both performance and detection.  A magnet test is only grossly useful.  And again, how well somethin "works" can be model specific.