• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

44 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

How are each of these sugars used? Would your grandmother look cross-eyed at you if you used, say, red slice sugar instead of ice sugar in a dish? Does the sugar cane juice get fermented (and distilled) or is it always drunk fresh?

I'm fascinated by all things sweet, especially from a place where historically there weren't many ovens as I think of them.

I should have confessed at the beginning that I know little about the actual uses - if I use more than 200g of sugar a year that is a miracle. But I do know that many of these sugars are used in savoury dishes. The choice of sugar in any one dish is largely determined by esoteric means taking into consideration colour, taste (fine so far), alleged "medical" properties, the season of the witch and the wind direction that morning.

Few sweet dishes are made at home, but instead, when eaten (rare), bought in.

In the last couple of days, while thinking about this, I have asked a couple of close Chinese friends who are good, food interested cooks how they use sugars and they looked at me in confusion. The particular sugar which inspired this thread (I'll deal with that one tomorrow), they had never even heard of despite it being widely available.

I've also looked through my fairly extensive collection of Chinese language cookbooks. Many recipes ask for sugar, but none that I have seen so far declare which type.

I have never come across fermented or distilled sugar cane juice, although it wouldn't surprise me. Again, I will ask.

Thank you for your questions. Apologies for lack of definitive answers at this stage, but I will do my best to fill the gaps. It's an education for me, too!

As to my grandmothers, one was Scottish and the other French. Their reaction to me using inappropriate sugar in China would be along the lines of "China!?! What on earth are you doing there?" 

P.S. You are correct. Very, very few people have ovens. In fact, I'm the only person I know who does and I do have friends!

26 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Who knew?  This is fascinating.  Is there more to tell?  Please.  And thank you.

Yes, lots more.

liuzhou

liuzhou

23 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

How are each of these sugars used? Would your grandmother look cross-eyed at you if you used, say, red slice sugar instead of ice sugar in a dish? Does the sugar cane juice get fermented (and distilled) or is it always drunk fresh?

I'm fascinated by all things sweet, especially from a place where historically there weren't many ovens as I think of them.

I should have confessed at the beginning that I know little about the actual uses - if I use more than 200g of sugar a year that is a miracle. But I do know that many of these sugars are used in savoury dishes. The choice of sugar in any one dish is largely determined by esoteric means taking into consideration colour, taste (fine so far), alleged "medical" properties, the season of the witch and the wind direction that morning.

Few sweet dishes are made at home, but instead, when eaten (rare), bought in.

In the last couple of days, while thinking about this, I have asked a couple of close Chinese friends who are good, food interested cooks how they use sugars and they looked at me in confusion. The particular sugar which inspired this thread (I'll deal with that one tomorrow), they had never even heard of despite it being widely available.

I have never come across fermented or distilled sugar cane juice, although it wouldn't surprise me. Again, I will ask.

Thank you for your questions. Apologies for lack of definitive answers at this stage, but I will do my best to fill the gaps. It's an education for me, too!

As to my grandmothers, one was Scottish and the other French. Their reaction to me using inappropriate sugar in China would be along the lines of "China!?! What on earth are you doing there?" 

P.S. You are correct. Very, very few people have ovens. In fact, I'm the only person I know who does and I do have friends!

18 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Who knew?  This is fascinating.  Is there more to tell?  Please.  And thank you.

Yes, lots more.