• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

So, you're saying it's @Shelby's fault?

Most definitely it is. As long as we've got her to blame it on, why not.

Bread baking is a very fickle thing. Differences in flour, differences in the humidity in your kitchen or hers and the difference in temperature. Proofing bread cannot be calculated by time. It's different on rainy days than it is on dry days. I find a big difference if I bake in the morning or if I bake in the afternoon. You just have to go by the feel of the dough not by how long it has been proofing. After you have baked a while you get used to how it looks and what it feels like when you poke it.

Even after all that, there is no guarantee. Baking bread for me is always a crapshoot.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

So, you're saying it's @Shelby's fault?

Most definitely it is. As long as we've got her to blame it on, why not.

Bread baking is a very fickle thing. Differences in flour, differences in the humidity in your kitchen or hers and the difference in temperature. Proofing bread cannot be calculated by time. It's different on rainy days than it is on dry days. I find a big difference if I bake in the morning or if I bake in the afternoon. You just have to go by the feel of the dough not by how long it has been proofing. After you have baked a while you get used to how it looks and what it feels like when you poke it.