• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

At my local flea market there are two vendors who sell returned merchandise.    One described to me that he spends hours each week scouring auction sites for his merchandise.    Retailers are so liberal now with returns that they are flooded with goods that are totally fine, unused, changed mind, color looks different in person, gifts, realized can't afford, etc.    The cost of restocking this merchandise plus the effect of time lapse on style or current assortment makes it more profitable to just sell out the back door through online auction outfits who sell to flea market vendors etc.    

I have picked up our Breville toaster ($25), a 4" memory foam mattress topper ($15), Patagonia slimline down jacket ($25),  Queen size silk filled comforter ($25), Twin down blanket ($15).    These products were "new, replaced in box", while many were not ever opened.    Outside tag reads "customer changed mind".   

We live in a very spoiled society.    

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

At my local flea market there are two vendors who sell returned merchandise.    One described to me that he spends hours each week scouring auction sites for his merchandise.    Retailers are so liberal now with returns that they are flooded with goods that are totally fine, unused, changed mind, color looks different in person, gifts, realized can't afford, etc.    The cost of restocking this merchandise plus the effect of time lapse on style or current assortment makes it more profitable to just sell out the back door through online auction outfits who sell to flea market vendors etc.    

I have picked up our Breville toaster ($25), a 4" memory foam mattress topper ($15), Patagonia slimline down jacket ($25),  Queen size silk filled comforter ($25), Twin down blanket ($15).    These products were "new, replaced in n box", while many were not ever opened.    Outside tag reads "customer changed mind".   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

At my local flea market there are two vendors who sell returned merchandise.    One described to mt that he spends hours each week scouring auction sites for his merchandise.    Retailers are so liberal now with returns that they are flooded with goods that are totally fine, unused, changed mind, color looks different in person, gifts, realized can't afford, etc.    The cost of restocking this merchandise plus the effect of time lapse on style or current assortment makes it more profitable to just sell out the back door through online auction outfits who well to flea market vendors etc.    

I have picked up our Breville toaster ($25), a 4" memory foam mattress topper ($15), Patagonia slimline down jacket ($25),  Queen size silk filled comforter ($25), Twin down blanket ($15).    All of these products were "new, replaced in n box", while many were not ever opened.    Outside tag reads "customer changed mind".