• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

I quite like mine but it does sound as though you have a whole different model!   Or perhaps we just have very different expectations.  No question it does a great job on chicken. No question it does a great job on certain breads for toast. I have never been impressed with it as a bread oven simply because it is too small (read not high enough to accommodate a normal loaf without futzing around with foil).  I am not being contrary for the sake of being contrary.  I think it's great that you are so impressed with yours. 

I scaled the loaf sizes accordingly which seems to have worked well at least for us i.e. 2 small challahs,  2 demi baguettes & one loaf pan's worth of bread.  I can see where baking loaves that involve more than (SWAG) 500 grams of dough each if making one, 1/2 that if making two could quickly become problematic. 

One feature I really like is the keep warm option; last Shabbat  I made a savory noodle kugel in the oven,  some lovely caraway cabbage sautee, both held warm while I sauteed a duck breast, also held warm to rest while I sauteed some potatoes in the duck fat that had rendered from the breast. Nifty to be able to pull the meat off the fire @ 115 internal; let it rest / finish @ 120 or so which results in perfect;y done meat; at least as far as our liking is concerned.

Jon Savage

Jon Savage

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

I quite like mine but it does sound as though you have a whole different model!   Or perhaps we just have very different expectations.  No question it does a great job on chicken. No question it does a great job on certain breads for toast. I have never been impressed with it as a bread oven simply because it is too small (read not high enough to accommodate a normal loaf without futzing around with foil).  I am not being contrary for the sake of being contrary.  I think it's great that you are so impressed with yours. 

I scaled the loaf sizes accordingly which seems to have worked well for me at least for us i.e. 2 small challahs,  2 demi baguettes & one loaf pan's worth of bread.  I can see where baking loaves that involve more than (SWAG) 500 grams of dough each if making one, 1/2 that if making two could quickly become problematic. 

One feature I really like is the keep warm option; last Shabbat  I made a savory noodle kugel in the oven,  some lovely caraway cabbage sautee, both held warm while I sauteed a duck breast, also held warm to rest while I sauteed some potatoes in the duck fat that had rendered from the breast. Nifty to be able to pull the meat off the fire @ 115 internal; let it rest / finish @ 120 or so which results in perfect;y done meat; at least as far as our liking is concerned.