• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

36 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Shelby , I REALLY like the idea of one for meat and one for non-meat! Just not sure I have the counter space for that. My first two CSO's are pretty disgusting, I'm afraid. Steam-clean doesn't get everything and some of the grease is cooked-on at this point. Not sure there is a way to really clean them up again. 

Mine was pretty gunked up and I cleaned it up a week or 2 ago.  I kinda followed this How To Clean a Oven with Baking Soda method except that I skipped the vinegar.  I ran a steam cycle @ 210 °F for 30 min, then applied the paste of baking soda and water and let it sit overnight.  The next day,  just kept cleaning with a wet sponge and plastic scrub brush until I got it as clean as I could.  I used a razor blade to get everything off the glass on the door. Then I ran 2 more steam cycles.   I was actually afraid to try this until I had my back-up unit, just in case the baking soda messed something up but so far it's working fine.

It's not perfect, but not bad, as you can see in this photo I posted earlier today:

IMG_8113.thumb.jpg.753eb0802a0735492e72c2a5f99b64b0.jpg

IMG_8116.thumb.jpg.6a8f67ebf3b51e8c008cc23384d60128.jpg

You can see that I didn't clean the rack.

The only part that I didn't get super clean is the top (ceiling?) of the interior.  With 3 elements to work around, it was kind of a pain and I started to lose interest.  It's cleaner, but could be better.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

13 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Shelby , I REALLY like the idea of one for meat and one for non-meat! Just not sure I have the counter space for that. My first two CSO's are pretty disgusting, I'm afraid. Steam-clean doesn't get everything and some of the grease is cooked-on at this point. Not sure there is a way to really clean them up again. 

Mine was pretty gunked up and I cleaned it up a week or 2 ago.  I kinda followed this How To Clean a Oven with Baking Soda method except that I skipped the vinegar.  I ran a steam cycle @ 210 °F for 30 min, then applied the paste of baking soda and water and let it sit overnight.  The next day,  just kept cleaning with a wet sponge and plastic scrub brush until I got it as clean as I could.  I used a razor blade to get everything off the glass on the door. Then I ran 2 more steam cycles.   I was actually afraid to try this until I had my back-up unit, just in case the baking soda messed something up but so far it's working fine.

It's not perfect, but not bad, as you can see in this photo I posted earlier today:

IMG_8113.thumb.jpg.753eb0802a0735492e72c2a5f99b64b0.jpg

IMG_8116.thumb.jpg.6a8f67ebf3b51e8c008cc23384d60128.jpg

You can see that I didn't clean the rack.

The only part that I didn't get super clean is the top (ceiling?) of the interior.  With 3 elements to work around, it was kind of a pain and I started to lose interest.  It's cleaner, but could be better.

IMG_8115.jpg