• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this.  I found a recipe in the magazine Journal Chocolat that had an egg-free marshmallow that was piped into drops on a tray then placed into the chocolate shell when fully set.  After having the recipe translated from Swedish, I tried it this weekend.  The recipe said to let the marshmallow cool to 30-35C before spooning into a piping bag.  It was a far too set-up and sticky to work with before it even got below 40C. It was a sticky mess and I could barely pipe it, much less get anything close to consistent sized drops.   I ended up just piping long ropes then cutting it into pieces small enough to  place in the shell.  Even that was difficult because it was tough to get consistent sized pieces.  Some ended up being too big for the shell, some really small.  What I really want is to find out how to pipe the marshmallow into the shell like the pic above where the layer is level enough to pipe a ganache over it or to place a layer of sable or similar over it.  I will continue to report my findings. 

Bentley

Bentley

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this.  I found a recipe in the magazine Journal Chocolate that had an egg-free marshmallow that was piped into drops on a tray then placed into the chocolate shell when fully set.  After having the recipe translated from Swedish, I tried it this weekend.  The recipe said to let the marshmallow cool to 30-35C before spooning into a piping bag.  It was a far too set-up and sticky to work with before it even got below 40C. It was a sticky mess and I could barely pipe it, much less get anything close to consistent sized drops.   I ended up just piping long ropes then cutting it into pieces small enough to  place in the shell.  Even that was difficult because it was tough to get consistent sized pieces.  Some ended up being too big for the shell, some really small.  What I really want is to find out how to pipe the marshmallow into the shell like the pic above where the layer is level enough to pipe a ganache over it or to place a layer of sable or similar over it.  I will continue to report my findings. 

Bentley

Bentley

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this.  I found a recipe in the magazine Journal Chocolate that had an egg-free marshmallow that was piped into drops on a tray then placed into the chocolate shell when fully set.  After having the recipe translated from Swedish, I tried it this weekend.  The recipe said to let the marshmallow cool to 30-35C before spooning into a piping bag.  It was a far too set-up and sticky to work with before it even got below 40C. It was a sticky mess and I couldn't barley pipie it, much less get anything close to consistent sized drops.   I ended up just piping long ropes then cutting it into pieces small enough to  place in the shell.  Even that was difficult because it was tough to get consistent sized pieces.  Some ended up being too big for the shell, some really small.  What I really want is to find out how to pipe the marshmallow into the shell like the pic above where the layer is level enough to pipe a ganache over it or to place a layer of sable or similar over it.  I will continue to report my findings. 

Bentley

Bentley

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about this.  I found a recipe in the magazine Journal Chocolate that had an egg-free marshmallow that was piped into drops on a tray then placed into the chocolate shell when fully set.  After having the recipe translated from Swedish, I tried it this weekend, but it was a sticky mess and I couldn't pipe anything close to consistent sized drops.  I ended up just piping long ropes then cutting it into pieces small enough to  place in the shell.  Even that was difficult because it was tough to get consistent sized pieces.  Some ended up being too big for the shell, some really small.  What I really want is to find out how to pipe the marshmallow into the shell like the pic above where the layer is level enough to pipe a ganache over it or to place a layer of sable or similar over it.  I will continue to report my findings.